The San Diego Toreros (11-4) will be at the Leavey Center to meet the Santa Clara Broncos (8-6) in a WCC matchup. The game is scheduled to start at 10 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 3, 2019.
San Diego Toreros at Santa Clara Broncos Betting Odds
In their last contest, the Broncos fell to the Prairie View A&M Panthers, 81-64, while the Toreros defeated the Weber State Wildcats, 83-66.
San Diego dominated every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.185 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.8. Weber State recorded marks of 0.098 and 22.2, respectively, for those same stats. Santa Clara, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (47.6 vs. 29.0). Santa Clara was lifted by Josh Martin, who contributed 11 points and 13 rebounds. Meanwhile, Isaiah Pineiro played a key role for San Diego with 25 points and 12 rebounds.
This series was highly competitive last year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, the Broncos won 70-64. Santa Clara did an excellent job of making free throws (16-19; 84.2 percent). San Diego, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (23.5 vs. 20.8). This will be the first game of the year between these two teams.
Pineiro and Olin Carter III have played well over the last five games for San Diego. Pineiro has averaged 0 points per game, while Carter III has put up 0 points a game during that span.
Second-chance opportunities could be rare for Santa Clara in this meeting. The Broncos rank 266th in offensive rebounding percentage (26.3 percent), while San Diego ranks 14th in defensive rebounding percentage (77.3 percent). Also, the Toreros rank 36th in effective field goal percentage (0.555), while the Broncos rank 50th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.461).
San Diego Toreros vs. Santa Clara Broncos Free Pick
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – San Diego, ATS Winner – San Diego, O/U – Over
- San Diego ranks 33rd in rebounds allowed per game (31.3) while Santa Clara ranks 132nd (35.4).
- The Toreros are 13th in the NCAA with 18.1 three pointers allowed per game while the Broncos are 15th with 18.1 three pointers allowed per game.
- The Toreros average 16.5 assists per game, which ranks 29th in the country. The Broncos rank 110th in assists allowed per game (13.1).
- Santa Clara ranks 40th in blocks per game (4.6) while San Diego ranks 117th (2.9).
- During their last five games, the Toreros have scored an average of 77.4 points per game (0.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 60.0 points per game (8.2 below their season average).
- The Broncos have been outscored by an average of 9.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Santa Clara has defeated opponents by an average of 3.6 points.