The Chicago Bulls (10-27) will be at home in the United Center when they challenge the Orlando Magic (16-20). Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 2, 2019, and can be seen on WGN Channel 9.
Orlando Magic vs. Chicago Bulls ATS Odds
Both teams fell in their last matchup. The Bulls (10.5-point underdogs) were defeated by the Toronto Raptors, 95-89, while the Magic (8.5-point underdogs) fell to the Charlotte Hornets, 125-100. The Chicago game finished 23 points under the projected point total of 207, while the Orlando game went 13.5 points over the projected point total of 211.5.
Orlando held Charlotte to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.6 (below their season average of 21.3) while Chicago held Toronto to an effective field goal percentage of 0.418 (below their season average of 0.539). Lauri Markkanen played well for Chicago with 18 points and 10 rebounds. Aaron Gordon played well for Orlando, recording 14 points, eight rebounds and five assists.
The Bulls evened the season series at one with a 90-80 win in their most recent game. Markkanen was the game’s top overall scorer with 32 points. Getting to the charity stripe was one of Chicago’s largest advantages. They had 26 free throw attempts, while Orlando had 24. The two teams combined to score 170 points, which was well under the projected point total of 201.5, and Chicago covered as a 3.5-point underdog.
Oddsmakers tend to set the total high when the Magic are involved, as 58.3 percent of their games have finished under the projected point total. Orlando heads into the game with records of 16-20 straight up (SU) and 18-16-2 against the spread (ATS).
Similarly to Orlando, games featuring the Bulls also tend to finish under the total (67.6 percent). Further, Chicago owns records of 10-27 SU and 18-18-1 ATS.
Markkanen and Kris Dunn have been playing well over the last five games for Chicago. Markkanen has averaged 20 points,7.4 rebounds, while Dunn has recorded 15 points,7.0 assists,6.4 rebounds,1.8 steals a game during that span.
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when a pair of the league’s slowest-paced teams face off. Chicago currently ranks 23rd in possessions per game (101.4) and Orlando is 27th (100.0).
Magic vs. Bulls ATS Pick
NBA Pick: SU Winner – Bulls, ATS Winner – Bulls, O/U – Under
- The Bulls rank 22 in fast break points per game (10.783783783783784) while the Magic rank 28 (10.055555555555555).
- Orlando ranks second in steals allowed per game (7.0) while Chicago ranks 18th (8.1).
- The Magic rank 14th in assists per game (24.4) while the Bulls rank 25th (21.5).
- Orlando ranks 17th in second chance points per game (12.9) while Chicago ranks 27th (9.1).
- Chicago ranks 23 in points in the paint per game (45.729729729729726) while Orlando ranks 29 (41.22222222222222).
- The Magic rank 12th in blocks per game (5.4) while the Bulls rank 26th in blocks allowed per game (5.9).
- The Magic rank 19 in rebounds allowed per game (45.861111111111114) while the Bulls rank 26 (48.054054054054056).
- Orlando ranks 15th in three pointers attempted per game (31.4) while Chicago ranks 26th (27.1).
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Chicago is 6-5 and Orlando is 7-2.
- The Magic are 12-8 when they score more than 100 points, while the Bulls are 6-11.
- Orlando is 10-5-2 ATS on the road, while Chicago is 9-9 ATS at home.
- Of the Magic’s 17 road games, they have 11 unders and 6 overs.
- In 18 home games, the Bulls have 13 unders and 5 overs.
- The Bulls are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Magic are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Chicago has 3 unders and 2 overs, while Orlando has 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Bulls have outscored opponents by an average of 1.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Chicago has lost by an average of 8.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Magic have scored an average of 107.2 points per game (3.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 111.2 points per game (3.7 above their season average).