The Georgia Southern Eagles (8-5) and the Texas State Bobcats (11-2) go head-to-head at Strahan Coliseum. The Eagles will attempt to continue their five-game winning streak. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 3, 2019.
Georgia Southern Eagles at Texas State Bobcats ATS Odds
Both teams were victorious in their last game. The Bobcats defeated the Air Force Falcons 67-57, while the Eagles dismantled the Carver College Cougars 139-51.
Georgia Southern played a flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 8.3 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 45.9. For those same stats, Carver College was 29.9 and 14.9, respectively. Meanwhile, Texas State’s 14.5 turnover percentage was their largest advantage over Air Force, who had a rate of 24.4. Nijal Pearson put together a good outing for Texas State with 21 points and five assists. Quan Jackson led the way for Georgia Southern, contributing 25 points, nine rebounds and eight steals.
This series was highly competitive last year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Eagles won the last game 81-77. The Eagles’ turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Bobcats. Georgia Southern had a rate of 9.0, while Texas State posted a mark of 18.9. This is the first time these teams will clash this year.
Ike Smith and Tookie Brown have been playing well over the last five games for Georgia Southern. Smith has averaged 0 points per game, while Brown has put up 0 points a game during that span.
This has potential to be an error-filled game for the offense of Texas State. Texas State ranks 263rd in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.2 percent), while the gambling defense of Georgia Southern forces the 41st-most turnovers in the nation (22.7 percent). It will also be a tale of two paces as the up-and-down Eagles rank seventh in possessions per game, while the slower-paced Bobcats rank 327th.
Georgia Southern Eagles vs. Texas State Bobcats Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Texas State, ATS Winner – Georgia Southern, O/U – Under
- Texas State ranks 34th in rebounds allowed per game (30.6) while Georgia Southern ranks 160th (36.3).
- The Eagles rank 59th in blocks per game (4.2) while the Bobcats rank 125th in blocks allowed per game (3.2).
- The Bobcats average 17.5 assists per game, which ranks 78th in the NCAA. The Eagles rank 193rd in assists allowed per game (15.6).
- Georgia Southern ranks 38th in steals per game (8.1) while Texas State ranks 127th (8.0).
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 97.0 points per game (9.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 73.0 points per game (5.1 below their season average).
- The Bobcats’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 18.6, up from 17.6 for the season.