The Detroit Pistons (16-19) will travel to FedExForum to go head-to-head with the Memphis Grizzlies (18-18). The Pistons opened as 5-point underdogs. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 199 points and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 2, 2019.
Detroit Pistons at Memphis Grizzlies Betting Odds
Both teams failed to cover as underdogs in their last outing. The Pistons (1.5-point underdogs) were defeated by the Milwaukee Bucks, 121-98, while the Grizzlies (4-point underdogs) fell to the Houston Rockets, 113-101. Both games finished over their projected point totals. The Detroit game finished 15.5 points over the projected point total of 203.5, while the Memphis game finished 13 points over the projected point total of 201.
Detroit held Milwaukee to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.7 (below their season average of 21.6) while Memphis had a better turnover percentage (9.5 vs. 12.6). Memphis received a boost from Marc Gasol, who finished with 14 points and 12 rebounds. Blake Griffin had a good game for Detroit, finishing with 29 points and nine rebounds.
This was a highly competitive series last year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the last contest, the Grizzlies won 130-117. Memphis’ effective field goal percentage was its biggest advantage over Detroit. The Grizzlies had a rate of 0.675 while the Pistons posted a mark of 0.532. This will be the first meeting of the year between these two teams.
There does not appear to be a trend for Pistons games in regards to the total, as there has been an even split between games finishing over and under. Detroit holds records of 16-19 straight up (SU) and 16-17-1 against the spread (ATS).
Games involving the Grizzlies tend to go under the O/U total (58.3 percent). Further, Memphis owns records of 18-18 SU and 17-19 ATS.
It might be a tough matchup for Memphis on the offensive glass. The Grizzlies are among the NBA’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking 29th in offensive rebounding percentage at 17.8 percent. Meanwhile, Detroit ranks third in the league at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 79.6 percent. Moreover, the Pistons rank 21st in turnover percentage (14.1 percent), while the Grizzlies rank second in opponents’ turnover percentage (15.9 percent).
Detroit Pistons at Memphis Grizzlies Pick
NBA Pick: SU Winner – Grizzlies, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Under
- The Grizzlies average 18.38888888888889 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 7 in the league. The Pistons rank 16 in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.02857142857143).
- Memphis ranks second in blocks per game (6.1) while Detroit ranks 26th (4.1).
- The Pistons rank fifth in fast break points allowed per game (11.6) while the Grizzlies rank 26th (15.3).
- Detroit ranks sixth in second chance points per game (14.7) while Memphis ranks 26th (9.6).
- Detroit ranks 7 in three pointers attempted per game (33.714285714285715) while Memphis ranks 25 (27.11111111111111).
- The Grizzlies rank second in points allowed in the paint per game (41.4) while the Pistons rank 24th (51.4).
- The Grizzlies rank 4 in steals per game (8.972222222222221) while the Pistons rank 23 (6.828571428571428).
- Detroit ranks eighth in rebounds per game (46.8) while Memphis ranks last (39.4).
- Detroit is 3-2 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Memphis is 10-3.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Pistons are 16-11 and the Grizzlies are 12-6.
- Detroit is 8-7 ATS on the road, while Memphis is 9-8 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 9 of the Grizzlies’ 17 home games, while 8 of the Pistons’ 15 road games have gone over.
- In their last five games, Detroit and Memphis are both 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Pistons’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.8, up from 2.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Grizzlies have scored an average of 101.0 points per game (0.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 102.6 points per game (0.3 above their season average).