The Atlanta Hawks (11-25), 4-point underdogs, will be at Capital One Arena to square off against the Washington Wizards (14-23) in a Southeast Division matchup. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 229 points and it will air on Fox Sports – Southeast at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 2, 2019.
Atlanta Hawks vs. Washington Wizards ATS Odds
Both teams covered in their last game. The Wizards (3.5-point underdogs) beat the Charlotte Hornets, 130-126, while the Hawks (13-point underdogs) fell to the Indiana Pacers, 116-108. Both games finished over their projected point totals. The Washington game finished 39 points over the projected point total of 217, while the Atlanta game finished 4 points over the projected point total of 220.
The Wizards forced 16 turnovers and had a free throw rate of 0.226 (above their season average of 0.210). Atlanta, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 40.4 (above their season average of 23.7). Washington’s Thomas Bryant had a good outing, recording 21 points and 10 rebounds. Atlanta, meanwhile, was lifted by John Collins, who contributed 22 points and 16 rebounds.
The Hawks evened the season series at one with a 118-110 win in their most recent game. In the loss, Bradley Beal had a double-double with 29 points and 10 rebounds. The Hawks’ 31.7 offensive rebounding percentage was their largest strength over the Wizards, who had a rate of 20.0. Atlanta covered as a 3-point underdog and the two teams combined for 228 points, which was under the projected point total of 238.5.
Games featuring the Hawks have a tendency to go over the total (55.6 percent). Atlanta comes into the game with records of 11-25 straight up (SU) and 16-20 against the spread (ATS).
Games involving the Wizards also tend to finish over the total (59.5 percent). Moreover, Washington is 14-23 SU and 12-24-1 ATS.
The physical Washington offense seems poised to dominate from the foul line. The Wizards rank ninth in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.211, while Atlanta ranks 30th in FTA rate allowed (0.236). Furthermore, the Hawks rank 30th in turnover percentage (16.8 percent), while the Wizards rank fourth in opponents’ turnover percentage (15.4 percent).
Atlanta Hawks vs. Washington Wizards Odds Pick
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Hawks, ATS Winner – Hawks, O/U – Over
- The Hawks average 51.22222222222222 points in the paint per game, which ranks 8 in the NBA. The Wizards rank 17 in points allowed in the paint per game (49.027027027027025).
- Washington averages 18.8 points off turnovers per game, which ranks fifth in the NBA. Atlanta ranks last in points off turnovers allowed per game (22.2).
- The Wizards rank 10th in assists per game (25.1) while the Hawks rank 29th in assists allowed per game (27.5).
- Washington averages 8.6 steals per game, which ranks ninth in the NBA. Atlanta ranks 27th in steals allowed per game (10.7).
- Atlanta ranks 16 in rebounds per game (45.02777777777778) while Washington ranks 29 (40.21621621621622).
- The Hawks average 17.7 fast break points per game, which ranks fourth in the league. The Wizards rank 25th in fast break points allowed per game (15.1).
- The Hawks average 13.61111111111111 second chance points per game, which ranks 12 in the league. The Wizards rank 27 in second chance points allowed per game (14.81081081081081).
- Atlanta ranks 6 in blocks per game (5.666666666666667) while Washington ranks 10 in blocks allowed per game (4.8108108108108105).
- Atlanta ranks fourth in three pointers attempted per game (34.8) while Washington ranks 23rd in three pointers allowed per game (33.1).
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Washington is 3-0 and Atlanta is 2-2.
- The Wizards are 14-18 when they reach the century mark, while the Hawks are 10-19.
- Atlanta is 11-9 ATS on the road, while Washington is 8-8-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 12 of the Wizards’ 17 home games, while 11 of the Hawks’ 20 road games have gone over.
- The Hawks are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Wizards are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Atlanta has 3 overs, 1 under and 1 push, while Washington has 3 unders and 2 overs.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 112.2 points per game (2.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 113.6 points per game (4.3 below their season average).
- The Wizards’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.8, up from 4.8 for the season.