The Youngstown State Penguins (5-4) will travel to University Arena in Read Fieldhouse to meet the Western Michigan Broncos (4-5). The game gets underway at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 7, 2019.
Youngstown State Penguins at Western Michigan Broncos ATS Odds
In their last matchup, the Broncos were beaten by the Oakland Golden Grizzlies, 72-62, while the Penguins defeated the Robert Morris Colonials, 81-70.
Youngstown State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.279 (above their season average of 0.190) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.525 (above their season average of 0.451). For those same stats, Robert Morris had marks of 0.058 and 0.478, respectively. Western Michigan, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 6.6 (better than their season average of 14.8). Western Michigan received a boost from Brandon Johnson, who contributed 18 points and 15 rebounds. Darius Quisenberry, meanwhile played a pivotal role for Youngstown State with 23 points.
The Broncos won the lone contest between these two teams last season, 88-77. Western Michigan’s free throw rate was their largest strength over Youngstown State. The Broncos had a rate of 0.259, while the Penguins posted a mark of 0.070.
The physical Western Michigan offense might be getting to the free throw line a lot in this contest. The Broncos rank first in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.273, while Youngstown State ranks 138th in FTA rate allowed (0.259) since the 2018-19 season. The Penguins should have an advantage in terms of ball security. They rank 29th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 18.0 percent). Conversely, the Broncos have forced the 47th-fewest turnovers in the NCAA (opponents’ turnover percentage of 16.0 percent).
Youngstown State Penguins vs. Western Michigan Broncos ATS Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Youngstown State, ATS Winner – Youngstown State, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2018-Present):
- Youngstown State averages 38.4 rebounds per game, which ranks ninth in the nation. Western Michigan ranks 291st in rebounds allowed per game (36.0).
- The Penguins rank 169th in blocks per game (3.5) while the Broncos rank 229th (2.4).
- Youngstown State is 12th in the nation with 5.7 steals allowed per game while Western Michigan is 49th with 7.4 steals allowed per game.
- The Broncos rank 50th in assists allowed per game (13.3) while the Penguins rank 170th (13.9).
- Youngstown State averages 26.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 108th in the nation. Western Michigan ranks 185th in three pointers allowed per game (23.5).