The Youngstown State Penguins (11-7, 4-1 Hor) will be at BB&T Arena to go head-to-head against the Northern Kentucky Norse (12-6, 4-2 Hor) in a Hor matchup. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 16, 2020.
Youngstown State Penguins at Northern Kentucky Norse ATS Odds
Both teams were triumphant in their last game. The Norse easily got past the IUPUI Jaguars 96-71, while the Penguins edged the Detroit Titans 69-67.
Youngstown State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.373 (above their season average of 0.202) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 29.0 (below their season average of 34.8). Detroit recorded marks of 0.211 and 25.0, respectively, for those same stats. Northern Kentucky, on the other hand, couldn’t miss, shooting 56.1 percent from the field. They also held IUPUI to a field goal percentage of 38.1. Tyler Sharpe played well for Northern Kentucky with 33 points. Youngstown State, meanwhile, rallied around Darius Quisenberry, who contributed 16 points and six assists.
The Norse dominated this series last year, securing victories in both games. In the last game, Northern Kentucky won 76-69. Northern Kentucky was successful at getting to and converting from the free throw line. The Norse made 26 of their 32 free throws (81.3 percent), while the Penguins were 10-14 (71.4 percent). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Northern Kentucky should have the edge on the defensive side of the ball. The Norse currently rank 90th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.464), while Youngstown State is 282nd in effective field goal percentage (0.477).
Youngstown State Penguins vs. Northern Kentucky Norse ATS Pick
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Northern Kentucky, ATS Winner – Northern Kentucky, O/U – Under
- Youngstown State averages 39.2 rebounds per game, which ranks 48th in the country. Northern Kentucky ranks 177th in rebounds allowed per game (36.3).
- The Norse rank 40th in steals per game (8.3) while the Penguins rank 116th (6.8).
- Northern Kentucky is fourth in the NCAA with 2.0 blocks allowed per game while Youngstown State is 40th with 2.7 blocks allowed per game.
- The Norse rank 30th in three pointers attempted per game (27.2) while the Penguins rank 123rd (22.8).
- Northern Kentucky ranks 51st in assists per game (14.9) while Youngstown State ranks 137th in assists allowed per game (12.8).
- The Penguins’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.2, down from 3.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Norse have scored an average of 71.2 points per game (2.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 65.2 points per game (0.0 above their season average).