The Providence Friars (10-6, 1-2 Big East) look to snap the 10-game winning streak of Xavier when they welcome the No. 5 Musketeers (15-1, 3-0 Big East) to Dunkin Donuts Center. Tip-off is set for 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018
Xavier Musketeers vs. Providence Friars Free Preview,
In the Musketeers last contest, they were victorious over the Butler Bulldogs, 86-79. Trevon Bluiett was Xavier’s leading scorer with 21 points on 6-for-15 shooting. Xavier played a nearly perfect game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.400 (above their season average of 0.344) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.517 (below their season average of 0.579). Butler had marks of 0.075 and 0.456, respectively, for those same stats.
The Friars are trying to rebound after their 95-90 loss to the Marquette Golden Eagles in their last matchup. Kyron Cartwright was Providence’s leading scorer with 29 points on 8-for-15 shooting. Marquette had a better turnover percentage (15.7 vs. 18.0). Providence, on the other hand, did a great job of getting and making free throws (32-41; 78.0 percent).
The prolific offense of Xavier will battle against the mid-tier defense of Providence. The Musketeers rank 13th in offensive efficiency, while the Friars are 189th in defensive efficiency. The Musketeers figure to have the advantage on that end of the court.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Friars won the most recent matchup 75-63. The Friars dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.7 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.541. The Musketeers were 20.6 and 0.474, respectively, for those same stats.
Xavier Musketeers vs. Providence Friars Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Providence, ATS Winner – Providence, O/U – Under
- The Friars rank 73rd in blocks per game (4.0) while the Musketeers rank 130th in blocks allowed per game (4.2).
- Providence averages 7.3 steals per game, which ranks 66th in the NCAA. Xavier ranks 109th in steals allowed per game (6.6).
- Xavier ranks 41st in rebounds allowed per game (31.9) while Providence ranks 139th (35.2).
- The Musketeers rank 22nd in assists per game (17.8) while the Friars rank 102nd (14.9).
- Providence ranks 164th in three pointers allowed per game (23.1) while Xavier ranks 238th (25.9).
- The Friars average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.2, down from 4.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Musketeers have scored an average of 82.4 points per game (4.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 76.4 points per game (4.8 above their season average).