The No. 6 Xavier Musketeers (12-1) put their seven-game winning streak on the line when they clash against the Marquette Golden Eagles (9-3) at BMO Harris Bradley Center. Xavier is a 3-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 163 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 27, 2017.
Xavier Musketeers at Marquette Golden Eagles Free Preview
The Musketeers beat the UNI Panthers in their last game, 77-67. With 11 points and nine rebounds, Xavier’s Kaiser Gates had a solid outing. The Musketeers knocked down 15 of their 19 free throws (78.9 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.646 (above their season average of 0.588).
The last time the Golden Eagles played, they blew out the American University Eagles, 92-51. Marquette received a boost from Sam Hauser, who was the top scorer from either team with 29 points on 8-for-10 shooting. Marquette played a perfect game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 28.6) and a free throw rate of 0.353 (above their season average of 0.250). American University put up marks of 12.5 and 0.167, respectively, for those same stats.
It might turn into a shootout as a pair of the nations best offenses square off. Marquette currently ranks 20th with 119.3 points per 100 possessions and Xavier is eighth (122.4). Additionally, the Musketeers rank fifth in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.346), while the Golden Eagles rank 262nd in opponents FTA rate (0.267).
Of Xavier’s 12 games with betting action, eight have finished over the projected point total, while 5 of Marquette’s 10 games have finished over the projected point total. The Musketeers hold a clear advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 12-1 SU and 10-3 ATS, while the Golden Eagles are 9-3 SU and 5-6 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Golden Eagles won both games last season. In the most recent matchup, Marquette won 95-84. Marquette had a better turnover percentage (13.7 vs. 17.4). Xavier, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (28.1 vs. 13.0).
Xavier Musketeers vs. Marquette Golden Eagles Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Xavier, ATS Winner – Xavier, O/U – Over
- The Musketeers rank 31st in assists per game (17.4) while the Golden Eagles rank 107th in assists allowed per game (13.0).
- Marquette ranks 27th in steals allowed per game (5.1) while Xavier ranks 98th (6.5).
- Xavier is 3-1 ATS on the road with 3 overs and 1 under.
- At home, Marquette is 2-5 ATS with 4 unders and 2 overs.
- Marquette ranks 14th in three pointers attempted per game (28.9) while Xavier ranks 217th in three pointers allowed per game (25.0).
- The Musketeers rank 43rd in rebounds per game (39.3) while the Golden Eagles rank 243rd (31.9).
- Marquette ranks 37th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while Xavier ranks 130th (4.2).
- Marquette is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Xavier is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Golden Eagles average margin of victory in their last five games has been 14.4, up from 9.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Musketeers have scored an average of 83.6 points per game (3.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.8 points per game (0.0 below their season average).