The No. 2 Michigan State Spartans (28-3, 16-2 Big 10) and the Wisconsin Badgers (15-17, 8-11 Big 10) clash in the Big Ten Tourney at Madison Square Garden. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 131.5 points with Michigan State opening as a 10.5-point favorite. Action begins at 12 p.m. ET on Friday, March 2, 2018.
Wisconsin Badgers vs. Michigan State Spartans Betting Preview
The Badgers defeated the Maryland Terrapins in their last matchup, 59-54. Ethan Happ was Wisconsin’s leading scorer with 14 points on 4-for-10 shooting. Wisconsin played a nearly perfect game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.400 (above their season average of 0.230) and a turnover percentage of 10.4 (better than their season average of 15.2). For those same stats, Maryland was 0.160 and 18.2, respectively.
The last time the Spartans played it was against the Badgers. In that game, the two teams combined to score 131 points, just under the projected point total of 135.5. The Spartans won 68-63, but were unable to cover as 7.5-point favorites. The Spartans have now emerged victorious in both games against the Badgers this year. The Spartans dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 44.8 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.509. The Badgers were 30.8 and 0.415, respectively, for those same stats. Despite the loss, Brad Davison was the game’s leading scorer with 30 points.
The productive offense of Michigan State (sixth in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 120.2) will battle against the mid-tier defense of Wisconsin (192nd in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 104.1). The Spartans figure to have the edge on that side of the ball.
Of Wisconsin’s 30 games with betting action, 16 have finished under the projected point total, while 15 of Michigan State’s 29 games have finished under the O/U total. The Spartans hold a clear advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 28-3 SU and 15-15-1 ATS, while the Badgers are 15-17 SU and 14-16 ATS.
Cassius Winston has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Michigan State, averaging 12.0 points, 7.0 assists and 5.2 rebounds per game.
Wisconsin Badgers vs. Michigan State Spartans Betting Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Michigan State, ATS Winner – Michigan State, O/U – Under
- The Spartans average 7.6 blocks per game, which ranks first in the nation. The Badgers rank 133rd in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- Wisconsin ranks 174th in steals per game (5.6) while Michigan State ranks 245th (4.1).
- Michigan State ranks sixth in rebounds per game (41.1) while Wisconsin ranks 284th (30.7).
- The Spartans rank first in assists per game (19.9) while the Badgers rank 207th (12.5).
- Wisconsin ranks fifth in three pointers allowed per game (16.0) while Michigan State ranks 148th (21.9).
- Michigan State is 2-3 ATS with 5 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Wisconsin is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Spartans’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.6, down from 17.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Badgers have scored an average of 64.4 points per game (2.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 60.4 points per game (5.7 below their season average).