Expect a fast-paced game when the Winthrop Eagles (10-7, 4-0 BigSou) visit Hampton to play the Pirates (7-9, 2-1 BigSou). The game gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 16, 2020.
Winthrop Eagles at Hampton Pirates Betting Odds
Both teams were victorious in their last game. The Pirates barely escaped the Longwood Lancers 83-80, while the Eagles beat the Gardner-Webb Runnin’ Bulldogs 99-95.
Winthrop dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 29.3 (below their season average of 33.9) and a free throw rate of 0.313 (above their season average of 0.190). Gardner-Webb was 11.6 and 0.268, respectively, for those same stats. Meanwhile, Hampton’s effective field goal percentage was their largest advantage over Longwood. The Pirates had a rate of 0.560 (above their season average of 0.505), while the Lancers posted a mark of 0.453. Hampton was led by Jermaine Marrow, who recorded 30 points and nine assists. Meanwhile, Chandler Vaudrin had a good game for Winthrop, recording 24 points, eight rebounds and five assists.
This was a highly contested series last year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the last matchup, the Pirates won 90-75. The Pirates’ turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Eagles. Hampton had a rate of 6.2, while Winthrop posted a mark of 15.0. This is the first time these teams will battle this year.
There could be plenty of transition offense in this matchup that showcases two of the country’s more fast-breaking teams. Hampton ranks 55th in possessions per game (72.8) and Winthrop is 25th (74.6). Furthermore, the Eagles are among the nation’s elite on the offensive backboards, ranking 49th in offensive rebounding percentage (33.5 percent). The Pirates, meanwhile, rank 321st at grabbing defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 67.8 percent.
Winthrop Eagles vs. Hampton Pirates ATS Pick
Free Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Winthrop, ATS Winner – Winthrop, O/U – Under
- Winthrop averages 40.7 rebounds per game, which ranks 21st in the country. Hampton ranks 243rd in rebounds allowed per game (38.7).
- The Pirates rank 42nd in blocks per game (4.5) while the Eagles rank 172nd (2.3).
- The Eagles rank 19th in three pointers attempted per game (28.0) while the Pirates rank 239th (18.4).
- Winthrop averages 15.9 assists per game, which ranks 30th in the NCAA. Hampton ranks 184th in assists allowed per game (14.0).
- During their last five games, the Pirates have scored an average of 76.4 points per game (0.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 83.6 points per game (6.0 above their season average).
- The Eagles’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 14.0, up from 8.6 for the season.