A 13-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the 17th-ranked Houston Cougars (15-1, 2-1 AAC) when they go head-to-head against the Wichita State Shockers (7-7, 0-2 AAC) at Fertitta Center. The game will air on CBS Sports Network at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 12, 2019.
Wichita State Shockers vs. Houston Cougars ATS Odds
Both teams were beaten in their last matchup. The Cougars fell to the Temple Owls, 73-69, while the Shockers were defeated by the Temple Owls, 85-81.
Wichita State had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (31.4 vs. 25.0) while Houston had a better turnover percentage (13.8 vs. 15.1). Houston’s Breaon Brady played well, contributing 19 points. Markis McDuffie, meanwhile played a pivotal role for Wichita State with 24 points and seven rebounds.
The Cougars edged out the Shockers in this series last year, winning two out of three games. In the most recent game, Houston won 77-74. The Cougars’ 9.3 turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over the Shockers, who had a rate of 14.9. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Looking at effective field goal percentage, Houston figures to have a substantial edge. The Cougars defense ranks third in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.420), while the Wichita State offense is ranked 311th in effective field goal percentage (0.474).
Wichita State at Houston ATS Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Wichita State, ATS Winner – Wichita State, O/U – Under
- Houston ranks ninth in rebounds per game (42.5) while Wichita State ranks 131st in rebounds allowed per game (35.1).
- The Cougars rank 29th in assists allowed per game (10.6) while the Shockers rank 65th (11.9).
- Houston averages 7.3 steals per game, which ranks 64th in the country. Wichita State ranks 77th in steals allowed per game (6.1).
- The Shockers average 24.2 three pointers per game, which ranks 93rd in the nation. The Cougars rank 188th in three pointers allowed per game (24.3).
- Houston ranks 33rd in blocks per game (4.7) while Wichita State ranks 108th (3.0).
- The Cougars’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.8, up from 15.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Shockers have scored an average of 71.2 points per game (0.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 72.6 points per game (0.7 above their season average).