A five-game home winning streak is on the line for the Akron Zips (8-5) when they clash against the Western Michigan Broncos (6-7) at James A. Rhodes Arena. Action starts at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 5, 2019.
Western Michigan Broncos vs. Akron Zips Betting Odds
Both teams were victorious in their last game. The Zips had no trouble getting past the Cedarville Yellow Jackets 70-50, while the Broncos were victorious over the Detroit Titans 89-76.
Western Michigan dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 53.7 and a free throw rate of 0.288. For those same stats, Detroit was 35.8 and 0.214, respectively. The Zips, on the other hand, had a much better free throw rate (0.183 vs. 0.016) and had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.492 vs. 0.389). Jimond Ivey fueled Akron with 12 points and 11 rebounds. Seth Dugan had a solid performance for Western Michigan, recording 32 points, 22 rebounds and six assists.
This series was highly competitive last year, as the teams split their two games last season. In the last contest, the Zips won 79-78. Akron had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (17.2 vs. 11.1). Western Michigan, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (13.8 vs. 21.0). This will be the first meeting of the year between these two teams.
Points at the line could be hard to find for Akron in this contest. The Zips rank 210th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.225, while Western Michigan ranks 60th in FTA rate allowed (0.190).
Western Michigan Broncos vs. Akron Zips Free Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Akron, ATS Winner – Western Michigan, O/U – Over
- Akron averages 29.5 three pointers per game, which ranks 26th in the NCAA. Western Michigan ranks 144th in three pointers allowed per game (23.2).
- The Broncos average 37.5 rebounds per game, which ranks 92nd in the country. The Zips rank 105th in rebounds allowed per game (33.6).
- Akron averages 5.0 steals per game, which ranks 149th in the country. Western Michigan ranks 156th in steals allowed per game (7.6).
- During their last five games, the Zips have scored an average of 78.4 points per game (3.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 62.0 points per game (0.6 above their season average).
- The Broncos’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.2, up from 1.8 for the season.