A five-game home winning streak is on the line for the Southern Miss Golden Eagles (11-8, 3-4 CUSA) when they welcome the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (10-9, 3-3 CUSA) to Reed Green Coliseum. The game gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 24, 2019.
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers vs. Southern Miss Golden Eagles Betting Odds
In their last contest, the Golden Eagles lost big to the Old Dominion Monarchs, 78-60, while the Hilltoppers defeated the Marshall Thundering Herd, 68-59.
Western Kentucky played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.327 (above their season average of 0.277) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 29.5). Marshall had marks of 0.113 and 14.3, respectively, for those same stats. Southern Miss, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.200 (above their season average of 0.161). Tyree Griffin had a good outing for Southern Miss, finishing with 20 points and seven assists. Western Kentucky, meanwhile, rallied around Charles Bassey, who put up 17 points and 17 rebounds.
The Hilltoppers won the only contest between these two teams last year, 82-66. Western Kentucky’s free throw rate was their largest advantage over Southern Miss. The Hilltoppers had a rate of 0.360, while the Golden Eagles posted a mark of 0.127. This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
Getting to the line might be scarce for Southern Miss in this contest. The Golden Eagles rank 341st in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.163, while Western Kentucky ranks 43rd in FTA rate allowed (0.185).
Western Kentucky at Southern Miss Betting Pick
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Southern Miss, ATS Winner – Southern Miss, O/U – Over
- Southern Miss ranks 28th in assists per game (16.5) while Western Kentucky ranks 205th (11.9).
- The Hilltoppers rank 11th in blocks per game (5.4) while the Golden Eagles rank 90th (3.6).
- Southern Miss ranks 54th in steals per game (7.5) while Western Kentucky ranks 102nd in steals allowed per game (6.3).
- The Hilltoppers rank 103rd in rebounds per game (36.6) while the Golden Eagles rank 222nd in rebounds allowed per game (37.4).
- Southern Miss ranks 166th in three pointers attempted per game (21.7) while Western Kentucky ranks 280th (16.4).
- During their last five games, the Hilltoppers have scored an average of 70.2 points per game (2.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.2 points per game (2.9 below their season average).
- The Golden Eagles have been outscored by an average of 1.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Southern Miss has defeated opponents by an average of 6.4 points.