The Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (12-6, 5-1 CUSA) will be at the Henderson Center to clash with the Marshall Thundering Herd (9-10, 3-3 CUSA) in a CUSA matchup. The game is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 22, 2020.
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers vs. Marshall Thundering Herd Betting Odds
Both teams were victorious in their last game. The Thundering Herd won a close one over the Old Dominion Monarchs 68-67, while the Hilltoppers were victorious over the Charlotte 49ers 80-63.
The Hilltoppers knocked down 27 of their 31 free throws (87.1 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.602 (above their season average of 0.531). Meanwhile, Marshall played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.6 (better than their season average of 18.2) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.447 (below their season average of 0.505). Old Dominion was 16.9 and 0.377, respectively, for those same stats. Marshall received a boost from Taevion Kinsey, who contributed 18 points. Taveion Hollingsworth played a key role for Western Kentucky with 30 points and six rebounds.
This series was highly competitive last year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Hilltoppers won the last matchup 68-59. Making free throws was one of Western Kentucky’s biggest advantages. They were 18-22 (81.8 percent), while the Thundering Herd were just 7-10 (70.0 percent). This is the first time these teams will clash this year.
Points at the line might be rare for Marshall in this battle. The Thundering Herd currently rank 288th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.192, while Western Kentucky ranks 24th in FTA rate allowed (0.159). Also, the Hilltoppers’ 48th-ranked offense (effective field goal percentage of 0.534) will battle against the Thundering Herd’s 54th-ranked defense (effective field goal percentage allowed of 0.456).
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers vs. Marshall Thundering Herd Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Marshall, ATS Winner – Marshall, O/U – Under
- Western Kentucky ranks 44th in steals allowed per game (5.5) while Marshall ranks 196th (8.4).
- The Thundering Herd rank 15th in assists allowed per game (9.7) while the Hilltoppers rank 94th (11.9).
- Western Kentucky blocks 4.6 opponent shots per game, which is ranked 34th in the nation. Marshall ranks 85th in blocks allowed per game (3.2).
- The Hilltoppers rank 157th in rebounds allowed per game (35.4) while the Thundering Herd rank 267th (39.7).
- Marshall averages 22.8 three pointers per game, which ranks 125th in the country. Western Kentucky ranks 204th in three pointers allowed per game (23.6).
- During their last five games, the Hilltoppers have scored an average of 70.0 points per game (7.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 63.6 points per game (7.5 below their season average).
- The Thundering Herd have been outscored by an average of 2.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Marshall has defeated opponents by an average of 3.4 points.