The Denver Pioneers (6-23, 2-13 Summit) welcome the Western Illinois Leathernecks (5-20, 2-13 Summit) to Magness Arena as the regular season wraps up. Action starts at 3 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 29, 2020.
Western Illinois Leathernecks at Denver Pioneers ATS Odds
Both teams lost in their last outing. The Pioneers were beaten by the Purdue Fort Wayne Mastodons, 58-51, while the Leathernecks lost big to the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles, 113-70.
Western Illinois did a great job of converting from the free throw line (6-7; 85.7 percent) while Denver forced Purdue Fort Wayne into a turnover percentage of 24.5 (above their season average of 17.5). Ade Murkey fueled Denver with 20 points and eight rebounds. Ben Pyle, meanwhile had a good outing for Western Illinois, putting up 21 points and seven rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Zion Young led the Leathernecks to an 86-80 victory. He recorded 17 points and eight rebounds. Western Illinois did an excellent job of making free throws (18-23; 78.3 percent). Denver, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (12.7 vs. 14.3).
Second-chance points could be few and far between for Denver in this meeting. The Pioneers currently rank 347th in offensive rebounding percentage (20.5 percent), while Western Illinois ranks 75th in defensive rebounding percentage (74.4 percent). The Leathernecks should have an edge in terms of ball protection. They rank 8th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 15.1 percent). Conversely, the Pioneers force the 92nd-fewest turnovers in the NCAA (opponents’ turnover percentage of 18.0 percent).
Western Illinois Leathernecks vs. Denver Pioneers Odds Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Denver, ATS Winner – Western Illinois, O/U – Over
- Western Illinois ranks 103rd in three pointers attempted per game (23.3) while Denver ranks 293rd (16.4).
- The Pioneers rank 234th in assists per game (11.2) while the Leathernecks rank 260th (10.4).
- Western Illinois ranks 41st in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while Denver ranks 43rd (2.7).
- The Leathernecks rank 15th in steals allowed per game (4.8) while the Pioneers rank 120th (6.4).
- Denver ranks 196th in rebounds allowed per game (36.1) while Western Illinois ranks 264th (38.5).
- During their last five games, the Leathernecks have scored an average of 76.0 points per game (1.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 90.4 points per game (8.1 above their season average).
- The Pioneers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.0, up from 7.9 for the season.