The UT Arlington Mavericks (2-1) and the Western Carolina Catamounts (1-4) face off in the Barclays Center Classic at Gallagher Center. UT Arlington is a 16-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 153.5 points. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, November 24, 2017.
Western Carolina Catamounts vs. UT Arlington Mavericks Free Preview
The Catamounts fell to the Massachusetts Minutemen in their last matchup, 85-76. Western Carolinas Desmond Johnson had a solid game, contributing 17 points and five rebounds. Massachusetts had a turnover percentage of 14.9 (better than their season average of 19.6). Western Carolina, meanwhile, did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (24-31; 77.4 percent).
In the Mavericks last game, they were defeated by the No. 25 Alabama Crimson Tide, 77-76. Kevin Hervey led UT Arlington in scoring with 24 points on 9-for-14 shooting. Alabama had a much better free throw rate (0.283 vs. 0.067). UT Arlington, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (26.7 vs. 19.4).
The high-octane offense of UT Arlington will clash against the porous defense of Western Carolina. Since last season, the Mavericks rank 58th in offensive efficiency, while the Catamounts are 272nd in defensive efficiency. The Mavericks figure to have the advantage on that end of the court.
Since last season, the Catamounts have had records of 10-27 straight up (SU) and 12-18 against the spread (ATS). Vegas has been fairly accurate when setting the O/U total of Western Carolina games since last season with 16 overs compared to 14 unders.
The Mavericks, on the other hand, are 27-9 SU and 20-12-1 ATS since last season. Vegas has been fairly accurate when predicting totals of UT Arlington games over that same period with 18 unders compared to 15 overs.
Western Carolina Catamounts vs. UT Arlington Mavericks Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UT Arlington, ATS Winner – UT Arlington, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Mavericks rank 61st in rebounds per game (38.1) while the Catamounts rank 206th in rebounds allowed per game (36.0).
- UT Arlington ranks 126th in blocks allowed per game (3.3) while Western Carolina ranks 240th (4.3).
- UT Arlington ranks 28th in assists per game (16.1) while Western Carolina ranks 283rd (11.4).
- The Mavericks rank 29th in three pointers attempted per game (25.3) while the Catamounts rank 258th (18.6).
- UT Arlington ranks 54th in steals per game (7.3) while Western Carolina ranks 266th in steals allowed per game (8.4).