The Massachusetts Minutemen (2-1) will be at home in William D. Mullins Center when they clash with the Western Carolina Catamounts (1-3). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 141 points with Massachusetts set as a 13-point favorite. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, November 21, 2017.
Western Carolina Catamounts at Massachusetts Minutemen Free Preview
In the Catamounts last matchup, they were blown out by the No. 14 Minnesota Golden Gophers, 92-64. With 17 points on 5-for-7 shooting, Matt Halvorsen was Western Carolinas high scorer. One of Minnesotas largest advantages was getting to the charity stripe. They had 38 free throw attempts, while Western Carolina had just 15.
The Minutemen hope to maintain momentum after thoroughly outplaying the Niagara Purple Eagles in their last contest, 101-76. With 34 points on 12-for-18 shooting, Luwane Pipkins was the games leading scorer. The Minutemen had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (51.9 vs. 23.5) and had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.711 vs. 0.483).
Massachusetts could have their way on defense as they face off against one of the NCAAs worst offenses. Dating back to last season, the Minutemen rank 38th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.468), while Western Carolina is 345th in effective field goal percentage (0.437).
Since last season, the Catamounts have had records of 10-26 straight up (SU) and 11-18 against the spread (ATS). Vegas has been fairly accurate when predicting totals of Western Carolina games since last season with 15 overs compared to 14 unders.
Meanwhile, the Minutemen, have records of 17-19 SU and 14-15-1 ATS since last season. Vegas has also been spot on when predicting totals of Massachusetts games over that same stretch with an even split between overs and unders.
Western Carolina Catamounts at Massachusetts Minutemen Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Massachusetts, ATS Winner – Western Carolina, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Minutemen rank 78th in three pointers attempted per game (23.4) while the Catamounts rank 252nd (18.7).
- Western Carolina ranks 132nd in rebounds per game (36.4) while Massachusetts ranks 207th in rebounds allowed per game (36.3).
- Massachusetts ranks 35th in assists per game (15.9) while Western Carolina ranks 277th (11.4).
- The Minutemen rank 38th in steals per game (7.4) while the Catamounts rank 279th in steals allowed per game (8.5).
- Massachusetts averages 5.0 blocks per game, which ranks 21st in the NCAA. Western Carolina ranks 243rd in blocks allowed per game (4.2).