Expect a defensive battle when the 17th-ranked West Virginia Mountaineers (19-8, 7-7 Big 12) clash against the Texas Longhorns (16-11, 6-8 Big 12) at Frank Erwin Special Events Center. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, February 24, 2020, and can be seen on ESPNU.
West Virginia Mountaineers vs. Texas Longhorns ATS Odds
In their last matchup, the Longhorns defeated the Kansas State Wildcats, 70-59, while the Mountaineers fell to the TCU Horned Frogs, 67-60.
The Longhorns, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.496, had an absurd mark of 0.614 and had a free throw rate of 0.364 (above their season average of 0.137). West Virginia, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (12.7 vs. 16.4). Texas’ Courtney Ramey had a good game, recording 26 points, six rebounds and five steals. Derek Culver fueled West Virginia with 18 points and 12 rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Oscar Tshiebwe led the Mountaineers to a 97-59 victory. He notched a double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds. West Virginia’s rebounding was their biggest advantage. The Mountaineers had more offensive rebounds (23 vs. 7), defensive rebounds (30 vs. 18) and total rebounds (53 vs. 25).
The inefficient offense of Texas (282nd in the country with an offensive efficiency of 97.8) will clash against the elite defense of West Virginia (fifth in the country with a defensive efficiency of 88.9). The Mountaineers figure to have the edge on that end of the court. Moreover, the Mountaineers, who rank first in offensive rebounding percentage (40.3 percent), will square off against the Longhorns, who rank 336th in defensive rebounding percentage (66.8 percent).
West Virginia at Texas Odds Pick
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Texas, ATS Winner – Texas, O/U – Over
- West Virginia ranks eighth in rebounds per game (41.0) while Texas ranks 282nd (32.0).
- The Longhorns rank 37th in blocks per game (4.5) while the Mountaineers rank 109th in blocks allowed per game (3.3).
- Texas allows the 13th-fewest assists per game (9.9) while West Virginia ranks 15th (10.0).
- The Longhorns rank 92nd in three pointers attempted per game (23.7) while the Mountaineers rank 284th (17.8).
- West Virginia ranks 39th in steals per game (7.9) while Texas ranks 184th (5.6).
- During their last five games, the Mountaineers have scored an average of 58.4 points per game (12.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 62.2 points per game (0.7 above their season average).
- The Longhorns have been outscored by an average of 3.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Texas has defeated opponents by an average of 1.0 point.