The No. 21 West Virginia Mountaineers (19-8, 8-6 Big 12) will try to put an end to the five-game winning streak of Baylor when they travel to Ferrell Center to meet the Bears (17-10, 7-7 Big 12). The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 142 points with Baylor opening as a 1-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 20, 2018.
West Virginia Mountaineers at Baylor Bears Odds Preview
In the Mountaineers last matchup, they were beaten by the No. 13 Kansas Jayhawks, 77-69. Daxter Miles Jr. had a solid performance for West Virginia, leading both teams in scoring with 22 points on 8-for-15 shooting. Kansas did an excellent job of making free throws (26-35; 74.3 percent). West Virginia, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (37.1 vs. 28.6).
The Bears hope to keep it rolling after edging the No. 7 Texas Tech Red Raiders in their last game, 59-57. With 24 points on 10-for-19 shooting, Terry Maston was the games high scorer. The Bears forced 18 turnovers and had a free throw rate of 0.370 (above their season average of 0.226).
Baylor appears to have the edge on the defensive side of the ball. The Bears currently rank 39th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.473), while West Virginia is 222nd in effective field goal percentage (0.504). The Mountaineers should have an edge in terms of ball security. They rank 44th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.6 percent), while the Bears force the 54th-fewest turnovers in the NCAA (opponents turnover percentage of 16.7 percent).
Both of these teams have a tendency to finish under the O/U total. Games including West Virginia have gone under 56.5 percent of the time, while 60.0 percent of Baylor games have finished under. The Mountaineers hold the substantial advantage straight up (SU) (19-8 vs. 17-10), but the Bears have the better against the spread (ATS) record (13-7 vs. 11-12).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 111 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 148. The Mountaineers won 57-54, but were unable to cover as 10-point favorites. The Mountaineers turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Bears. West Virginia had a rate of 14.1, while Baylor posted a mark of 26.6. Jo Lual-Acuil Jr. recorded a double-double in the loss, with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
West Virginia Mountaineers vs. Baylor Bears Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Baylor, ATS Winner – Baylor, O/U – Under
- The Bears rank 33rd in rebounds per game (38.9) while the Mountaineers rank 144th in rebounds allowed per game (34.6).
- West Virginia averages 15.3 assists per game, which ranks 64th in the nation. Baylor ranks 174th in assists allowed per game (14.1).
- West Virginia is 5-7 ATS on the road, while Baylor is 6-3 ATS at home.
- Of the Mountaineers 12 road games, they have 6 unders, 5 overs and 1 push.
- The Bears have 5 unders and 4 overs in 9 home games.
- West Virginia ranks 40th in three pointers attempted per game (25.7) while Baylor ranks 253rd (18.8).
- The Mountaineers rank 12th in steals per game (8.4) while the Bears rank 199th (5.1).
- West Virginia averages 5.0 blocks per game, which ranks 23rd in the nation. Baylor ranks 175th in blocks allowed per game (4.1).
- Baylor is 5-0 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, West Virginia is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Bears average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.8, up from 7.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mountaineers have scored an average of 80.0 points per game (0.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.0 points per game (2.6 above their season average).