The Cleveland Cavaliers (34-22) will be at home in Quicken Loans Arena when they meet the Washington Wizards (33-24). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 220 points with Cleveland opening as a 5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 22, 2018, and it can be seen on TNT.
Washington Wizards vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Odds Preview
In the Wizards’ last game, they were victorious over the New York Knicks, 118-113. Bradley Beal led Washington in scoring with 36 points on 14-for-22 shooting. The Wizards made 15 of their 19 free throws (78.9 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.585 (above their season average of 0.523).
The Cavaliers will look to maintain momentum after beating the Oklahoma City Thunder in their last game, 120-112. Cleveland received a boost from LeBron James, who was the top scorer from either team with 37 points on 14-for-23 shooting. The Cavaliers had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 6.7 (better than their season average of 12.9) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.602 (above their season average of 0.546).
The aggressive Cleveland offense might be getting to the charity stripe a lot in this showdown. The Cavaliers currently rank sixth in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.221, while Washington is among the NBA’s most foul-prone squads (giving up a 24th-ranked FTA rate of 0.213).
Of Washington’s 57 games, 29 have finished under the O/U total, while 30 of Cleveland’s 56 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (33-24 for Washington; 34-22 for Cleveland), but the Wizards have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Washington is 27-30 ATS, while the Cavaliers are 18-37-1.
Otto Porter Jr. has really been playing well over the last five games for Washington, averaging 18.2 points and 6.8 rebounds per game.
These two teams have already met twice this season, with the Cavaliers winning both. In the most recent contest, the Wizards lost 106-99, unable to cover as 2-point favorites. Beal scored a game-high 27 points and also put up five rebounds and five assists. The two teams combined to put up 205 points, which was 11 points below the projected point total of 216 points. The Cavaliers played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.115 and a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 8.0. For those same stats, the Wizards recorded marks of 0.099 and 9.3, respectively.
Washington Wizards at Cleveland Cavaliers ATS Prediction
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Wizards, ATS Winner – Wizards, O/U – Over
- The Cavaliers rank 17th in second chance points allowed per game (12.7) while the Wizards rank 28th (13.8).
- Washington averages 8.1 steals per game, which ranks 10th in the league. Cleveland ranks 16th in steals allowed per game (7.6).
- Washington ranks 16th in points allowed in the paint per game (44.6) while Cleveland ranks 25th (46.9).
- Washington is 17-13 ATS on the road, while Cleveland is 6-20-1 ATS at home.
- The Wizards have 18 unders and 12 overs in 30 road games.
- The Cavaliers have 14 overs, 12 unders and 1 push in 27 home games.
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Washington is 16-2 and Cleveland is 12-2.
- When reaching the century mark, the Cavaliers are 33-12 and the Wizards are 30-13.
- The Wizards rank 20th in blocks per game (4.5) while the Cavaliers rank 27th (3.8).
- Washington ranks fifth in assists per game (24.3) while Cleveland ranks last in assists allowed per game (25.9).
- The Cavaliers rank third in three pointers attempted per game (32.9) while the Wizards rank 23rd (26.6).
- The Wizards average 42.9 rebounds per game, which ranks 18th in the NBA. The Cavaliers rank 21st in rebounds allowed per game (44.4).
- Washington averages 17.9 points off turnovers per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. Cleveland ranks 18th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.8).
- Cleveland is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Washington is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Cavaliers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.0, up from 0.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wizards have scored an average of 107.2 points per game (0.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 106.0 points per game (0.5 above their season average).