The Washington Wizards (37-28) will try to snap the 10-game winning streak of New Orleans when they head to Smoothie King Center to take on the Pelicans (38-26). Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Friday, March 9, 2018, and it can be seen on NBATV.
Washington Wizards vs. New Orleans Pelicans Odds Preview
The Wizards defeated the Miami Heat in their last outing, 117-113. Bradley Beal was the top scorer from either team with 30 points on 12-for-16 shooting. The Wizards made 23 of their 27 free throws (85.2 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.588 (above their season average of 0.524).
In the Pelicans’ last matchup, they beat the Sacramento Kings, 114-101. New Orleans rallied around Nikola Mirotic, who was the game’s high scorer with 26 points on 10-for-12 shooting. New Orleans’ 0.633 effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Sacramento, who had a mark of 0.468. The Pelicans’ mark was above their season average of 0.543, while the Kings’ was below the 0.519 mark opponents have averaged against New Orleans this season.
It will be a matchup of contrasting styles as the up-tempo Pelicans will look to push the slower-paced Wizards. The Pelicans rank second in possessions per game while the Wizards are 17th.
Of Washington’s 65 games, 35 have finished under the projected point total, while 40 of New Orleans’ 64 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (37-28 for Washington; 38-26 for New Orleans), but the Pelicans have the advantage against the spread (ATS). New Orleans is 36-28 ATS, while the Wizards are 30-33-2.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Wizards, it’s been Otto Porter Jr., who has averaged 22.0 points, 7.6 rebounds and 2.4 steals, while the Pelicans have received solid contributions from Jrue Holiday (26.0 points and 8.0 assists).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 222 points in that game, which was over the projected point total of 216. The Wizards won 116-106, covering as 3-point favorites. Washington’s effective field goal percentage was its largest advantage over New Orleans. The Wizards had a rate of 0.576 while the Pelicans posted a mark of 0.456. Despite the loss, Anthony Davis was the game’s leading scorer with 37 points.
Washington Wizards vs. New Orleans Pelicans Odds Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- The Wizards average 24.6 assists per game, which ranks fifth in the NBA. The Pelicans rank 21st in assists allowed per game (24.2).
- Washington ranks 13th in rebounds allowed per game (42.8) while New Orleans ranks 25th (45.2).
- Washington ranks 10th in points off turnovers per game (17.3) while New Orleans ranks 25th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.7).
- Washington ranks 17th in three pointers allowed per game (29.6) while New Orleans ranks 27th (30.7).
- On the road, Washington is 19-13 ATS with 20 unders and 12 overs.
- At home, New Orleans is 13-16 ATS with 22 overs and 7 unders.
- New Orleans is 8-1 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Washington is 17-3.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Wizards are 34-15 and the Pelicans are 36-18.
- The Wizards rank 13th in second chance points per game (12.8) while the Pelicans rank 28th in second chance points allowed per game (13.6).
- New Orleans ranks second in points in the paint per game (51.2) while Washington ranks 22nd (42.2).
- The Pelicans rank third in blocks per game (5.6) while the Wizards rank 22nd (4.4).
- The Wizards rank 12th in steals per game (8.0) while the Pelicans rank 22nd in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- Washington ranks ninth in fast break points allowed per game (11.0) while New Orleans ranks 28th (14.4).
- New Orleans is 5-0 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Washington is 1-2-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Pelicans’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.8, up from 1.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wizards have scored an average of 103.0 points per game (4.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 105.2 points per game (0.3 below their season average).