Pac-12 foes will battle when the No. 25 USC Trojans (7-5, 0-1 Pac-12) meet the Washington State Cougars (8-5, 0-1 Pac-12) at Galen Center. USC opened as a 14-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 157 points. Action gets underway at 9 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 31, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Washington State Cougars at USC Trojans Odds Preview
In the Cougars last game, they lost to the UCLA Bruins, 96-82. Washington State’s Robert Franks had a good game, leading the team in scoring with 20 points on 7-for-16 shooting. UCLA held the Cougars to an offensive rebounding percentage of 9.4 (below their season average of 23.2). Washington State, meanwhile, was lights out from beyond the arc (14-35; 40.0 percent).
The Trojans are hoping for a better outcome after their 88-81 loss to the Washington Huskies in their last outing. Chimezie Metu was the games high scorer with 26 points on 10-for-14 shooting. Washington had an effective field goal percentage of 0.745 (above their season average of 0.540). USC, meanwhile, did a terrific job of making free throws (18-21; 85.7 percent).
USC should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. USC ranks 41st in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.5 percent), while Washington State forces the 11th-fewest turnovers (15.7 percent). Furthermore, the Cougars, who rank 306th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.187), could have a difficult time getting to the line against the Trojans, who rank 53rd in opponents FTA rate (0.183).
Of Washington State’s 12 games with betting action, seven have finished under the O/U total, while 7 of USC’s 13 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have solid straight up (SU) records (8-5 for Washington State; 7-5 for USC), but the Trojans hold a slight edge against the spread (ATS). USC is 8-6 ATS, while the Cougars are 8-4.
Metu has really been playing well over the last five games for USC, averaging 21.0 points, 9.0 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year. The Trojans won both meetings played against each other last season. In the last contest, USC won 87-64. The Trojans played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.2 and an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 40.0. The Cougars recorded marks of 18.6 and 29.0, respectively, for those same stats.
Washington State Cougars at USC Trojans Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – USC, ATS Winner – Washington State, O/U – Under
- The Cougars average 15.5 assists per game, which ranks 73rd in the NCAA. The Trojans rank 147th in assists allowed per game (14.0).
- Washington State allows the 27th-fewest steals per game (5.0) while USC ranks 38th (5.3).
- On the road, Washington State is 4-3 ATS with 4 overs and 3 unders.
- USC is 3-5 ATS at home with 3 overs, 3 unders and 1 push.
- Washington State ranks eighth in three pointers attempted per game (30.8) while USC ranks 228th in three pointers allowed per game (25.4).
- The Trojans rank 50th in rebounds per game (39.3) while the Cougars rank 218th in rebounds allowed per game (38.5).
- USC ranks 43rd in blocks per game (4.8) while Washington State ranks 161st (2.5).
- USC is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Washington State is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Trojans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.6, up from 7.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 74.8 points per game (2.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.4 points per game (3.2 below their season average).