The UTEP Miners (2-6) will be at home in Don Haskins Center when they challenge the Washington State Cougars (6-2). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 147.5 points with Washington State set as a 1.5-point favorite. Action begins at 9 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 9, 2017.
Washington State Cougars at UTEP Miners Betting Preview
In the Cougars last matchup, they got blown out by the Idaho Vandals, 91-64. With 16 points on 6-for-12 shooting, Robert Franks was Washington State’s leading scorer. Idaho had an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 26.8). Washington State, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.115 vs. 0.097).
The Miners come in on a high note after defeating the New Mexico Lobos in their last game, 88-76. UTEP was lifted by Omega Harris, who was the top scorer from either team with 28 points on 9-for-11 shooting. UTEP’s effective field goal percentage was their biggest strength over New Mexico. The Miners had a rate of 0.620 (above their season average of 0.463), while the Lobos posted a mark of 0.473 (below their season average of 0.533).
Getting to the line might be hard to find for UTEP in this showdown. The Miners rank 221st in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.237, while Washington State ranks 19th in FTA rate allowed (0.182) dating back to last season. Also, the Cougars rank 345th in offensive rebounding percentage (20.4 percent), while the Miners rank 32nd in defensive rebounding percentage (75.2 percent).
Both of these teams have a tendency to go over the O/U total. Games including Washington State have gone over 57.1 percent of the time, while 75.0 percent of UTEP games have gone over. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Cougars have a significant advantage. They are 6-2 SU and 5-2 ATS, while the Miners are 2-6 SU and 2-2 ATS.
Washington State Cougars vs. UTEP Miners Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UTEP, ATS Winner – UTEP, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Miners are sixth in the nation with 1.9 blocks allowed per game while the Cougars are 59th with 2.9 blocks allowed per game.
- UTEP ranks 236th in steals per game (5.2) while Washington State ranks 274th (4.5).
- Washington State ranks 170th in three pointers attempted per game (21.1) while UTEP ranks 296th (17.0).
- The Miners rank 147th in assists allowed per game (13.1) while the Cougars rank 238th (14.6).
- UTEP ranks 166th in rebounds allowed per game (35.3) while Washington State ranks 227th (36.7).