Pac-12 foes will collide when the UCLA Bruins (9-3) meet the Washington State Cougars (8-4) at Pauley Pavilion. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 159 points with UCLA opening as a 14-point favorite. Action gets underway at 11 p.m. ET on Friday, December 29, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Washington State Cougars vs. UCLA Bruins Odds Preview
The Cougars had no trouble getting past the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats in their last outing, 86-58. Robert Franks was the top scorer from either team with 28 points on 8-for-17 shooting. The Cougars made 19 of their 22 free throws (86.4 percent) and held the Wildcats to an effective field goal percentage of 0.357 (below their season average of 0.482).
The last time the Bruins played, they topped the No. 7 Kentucky Wildcats, 83-75. UCLA rallied around Thomas Welsh, who had 13 points and 11 rebounds. The Bruins made 13 of their 15 free throws (86.7 percent) and held the Wildcats to an effective field goal percentage of 0.471 (below their season average of 0.547).
It will be a showdown of conflicting paces as the fast-breaking Bruins (ranked 20th in the nation in possessions per game) will look to push the slower-paced Cougars (158th in possessions per game). Additionally, put-back points figure to be rare for the Cougars. They rank 320th in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage at 23.2 percent, while the Bruins are 55th-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 74.7 percent).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Washington State games have gone under 63.6 percent of the time, while 63.6 percent of games featuring UCLA have gone over. The Bruins hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (9-3 vs. 8-4), but the Cougars have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (8-3 vs. 4-8).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Bruins won both meetings played against each other last season. In the last matchup, UCLA won 77-68. The Bruins dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.262 and a turnover percentage of 10.2. For those same stats, the Cougars recorded marks of 0.077 and 15.0, respectively.
Washington State Cougars at UCLA Bruins Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UCLA, ATS Winner – Washington State, O/U – Under
- The Bruins average 15.6 assists per game, which ranks 74th in the nation. The Cougars rank 128th in assists allowed per game (13.3).
- UCLA is sixth in the NCAA with 2.0 blocks allowed per game while Washington State is 45th with 2.7 blocks allowed per game.
- UCLA is 2-5 ATS at home, while Washington State is 4-2 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 4 of the Bruins 7 home games, while 3 of the Cougars 6 road games have gone over.
- Washington State ranks seventh in three pointers attempted per game (30.4) while UCLA ranks 224th in three pointers allowed per game (25.6).
- The Bruins average 40.9 rebounds per game, which ranks 19th in the NCAA. The Cougars rank 223rd in rebounds allowed per game (38.1).
- Washington State ranks 35th in steals allowed per game (5.3) while UCLA ranks 119th (6.8).
- UCLA is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Washington State is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Bruins average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.2, down from 6.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 71.2 points per game (5.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.4 points per game (2.4 below their season average).