The Prudential Center will be hosting an enticing clash as the Washington Capitals pay a visit to the New Jersey Devils. It’s the fourth and last time that these two clubs will meet in the regular season. NBC Sports Washington will air this divisional matchup, and the opening face-off takes place at 1 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 22.
Washington Capitals at New Jersey Devils Odds
This matchup’s moneyline and Over/Under odds have not been posted by oddsmakers yet.
Washington is 37-23 straight up (SU) and has netted 3.6 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 60 regular season matches, 36 of its games have gone over the total, while 21 have gone under and just two have pushed. As the road team in 2019-20, the Caps are 21-9 SU.
Washington has converted on 20.6 percent of its power play chances this season, a figure that’s right around league average. Additionally, it has the fourth-best penalty kill in the league, and the team’s successfully killed off 84.0 percent of its penalties.
Washington, as a collective unit, has been sent to the penalty box 4.1 times per game this season, and 3.0 per game over its last five on the road. The team has had to stave off opponent power plays just 8.2 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
With a .896 save percentage and 25.5 saves per game, Braden Holtby (22-20-5) has been the primary option in goal for Washington this year. If it chooses to rest him, however, Washington may go with Ilya Samsonov (16-7-1), who has a .917 save percentage and 2.38 goals against average this year.
John Carlson and Alex Ovechkin will both lead the offensive attack for the visiting Capitals. Carlson (70 points) is up to 15 goals and 55 assists, and has recorded multiple points 23 times. Ovechkin has 41 goals and 17 assists to his name (and has notched a point in 33 games).
On the other side of the ice, New Jersey is 23-37 straight up (SU) and has lost 10.1 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 60 regular season outings, 32 of its games have gone over the total, while 26 have gone under and just one has pushed. The team’s 11-20 SU at home this season.
New Jersey has converted on just 16.3 percent of its power play opportunities this season, a figure that’s ranked 26th in the NHL. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 13th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 81.5 percent of all opponent power plays.
New Jersey players have been penalized 3.9 times per game this season, and 3.0 per game over their last five at home. The team’s been forced to kill penalties just 7.1 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
MacKenzie Blackwood (27.9 saves per game) has been the top option in goal for New Jersey. Blackwood has 20 wins, 22 losses, and seven OT losses to his name and has registered a .915 save percentage and 2.74 goals against average this year.
The home team offense will be led by Kyle Palmieri (22 goals, 19 assists).
Washington Capitals vs. New Jersey Devils Free Picks
NHL Pick: SU Winner – Capitals, O/U – Under
- Penalties and power plays may have a critical role in this matchup. The Capitals are 12-9 in games where they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 20-12 when they’re in the penalty box for fewer than 10 total minutes. The Devils are 11-16 when the team serves fewer penalty minutes than the opposition and 14-21 in games where their penalty minutes are in the single digits.
- Two of New Jersey’s past 10 contests have ended in a shootout. The team’s 1-1 in those games and 4-6 overall in shootouts this season.
- New Jersey is ranked 19th this season with 7.1 takeaways per game. That figure’s trended higher recently, as the team has created 7.8 takeaways over its last 10 games and 9.6 takeaways over its last five.
- Washington has averaged 3.5 goals per game overall this year, but is averaging 2.0 goals per match up over its last three games (0-3 SU over that span).
- Washington is ranked 11th with 7.8 takeaways per game. That figure has trended upward lately, as the team has averaged 8.4 takeaways over its last 10 games and 8.8 takeaways over its last five.