The Mount St. Mary’s Mountaineers (17-13, 11-6 NEC) and Wagner Seahawks (21-7, 14-3 NEC) will go head-to-head at Knott Arena to finish out the regular season. Tip-off is set for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018.
Wagner Seahawks vs. Mount St. Mary’s Mountaineers Free Preview
In the Seahawks last matchup, they barely escaped the Central Connecticut State Blue Devils, 64-62. With 10 points and eight rebounds, AJ Sumbry had a solid game for Wagner. The Seahawks, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.7, had an absurd mark of 48.4 and had a better turnover percentage (19.0 vs. 20.8).
The Mountaineers come in on a high note after thoroughly outplaying the Robert Morris Colonials in their last game, 72-53. Mount St. Mary’s Junior Robinson had a good game, putting up 11 points and eight assists. Mount St. Mary’s played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.170 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 12.1 (better than their season average of 15.3). For those same stats, Robert Morris put up marks of 0.078 and 25.8, respectively.
Looking at effective field goal percentage, this appears to be a matchup of two heavyweights. The upper-echelon Mount St. Mary’s offense ranks 39th in the nation in that metric at 0.551, while the top-notch Wagner defense is ranked 29th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.470). Furthermore, the Seahawks are among the nations elite on the offensive backboards, ranking ninth in offensive rebounding percentage (36.0 percent). The Mountaineers, meanwhile, rank 340th at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 65.3 percent.
These teams have already met once this season. The Seahawks won 76-57. Wagner out-rebounded Mount St. Mary’s. The Seahawks had 18 offensive rebounds and 46 total rebounds, while the Mountaineers had 11 and 29, respectively. Elijah Davis put up a double-double in the victory with 14 points and 10 rebounds.
Wagner Seahawks at Mount St. Mary’s Mountaineers ATS Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Wagner, ATS Winner – Wagner, O/U – Over
- The Mountaineers rank 20th in three pointers attempted per game (27.2) while the Seahawks rank 114th (23.0).
- Wagner ranks 44th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while Mount St. Mary’s ranks 75th (5.8).
- Wagner ranks 34th in rebounds per game (38.8) while Mount St. Mary’s ranks 297th (28.5).
- The Seahawks rank 41st in assists allowed per game (11.5) while the Mountaineers rank 167th (13.9).
- Mount St. Mary’s ranks ninth in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while Wagner ranks 121st (3.6).
- The Mountaineers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.0, up from 0.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Seahawks have scored an average of 81.2 points per game (5.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 74.4 points per game (6.3 above their season average).