The VMI Keydets (7-18, 2-12 SoCon), who are currently riding a five-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they head to McAlister Field House to challenge the Citadel Bulldogs (9-17, 4-10 SoCon). Tip-off is set for 1 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 17, 2018.
VMI Keydets vs. Citadel Bulldogs Betting Preview
In the Keydets last matchup, they were blown out by the Mercer Bears, 82-58. With 16 points on 6-for-14 shooting, Bubba Parham led VMI in scoring. Mercer did a terrific job of converting from the charity stripe (18-21; 85.7 percent). VMI, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 11.3 (better than their season average of 19.8).
The Bulldogs are hoping for a better outcome after their 82-66 loss to the UNCG Spartans in their last matchup. Zane Najdawi was Citadel’s leading scorer with 15 points on 3-for-7 shooting. UNCG held the Bulldogs to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.0 (below their season average of 27.1). Citadel, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.183 vs. 0.167).
This contest should be a matchup of opposite styles. Citadel has preferred a fast-paced style of play (second in possessions per game), while VMI has been more half-court-oriented (186th in possessions per game). Ball protection could be troublesome for the Keydets. They rank 332nd at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 21.9 percent), while the Bulldogs force the 31st-most turnovers in the nation (opponents turnover percentage of 22.3 percent).
Najdawi has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Citadel, averaging 21.8 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.8 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Keydets won 88-81. VMI was lights out from beyond the arc (14-31; 45.2 percent). Citadel, meanwhile, did a terrific job of making free throws (20-25; 80.0 percent). Parham was a top performer in the victory, with 24 points.
VMI Keydets vs. Citadel Bulldogs Free Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – VMI, ATS Winner – VMI, O/U – Under
- The Bulldogs rank 107th in rebounds per game (36.3) while the Keydets rank 232nd (33.4).
- VMI ranks 168th in blocks per game (2.7) while Citadel ranks 179th in blocks allowed per game (4.4).
- Citadel ranks 19th in assists per game (17.1) while VMI ranks 214th (12.2).
- The Bulldogs rank second in three pointers attempted per game (34.5) while the Keydets rank 190th in three pointers allowed per game (22.9).
- Citadel ranks third in steals per game (10.0) while VMI ranks 174th in steals allowed per game (7.0).
- The Bulldogs average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.4, down from 5.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Keydets have scored an average of 60.8 points per game (3.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 78.0 points per game (4.6 above their season average).