ACC foes will battle when the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (11-15, 4-9 ACC) challenge the Virginia Tech Hokies (18-8, 7-6 ACC) at McCamish Pavilion. Tip-off is scheduled for 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 17, 2018.
Virginia Tech Hokies at Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Odds Preview
The last time the Hokies played, they were blown out by the No. 12 Duke Blue Devils, 74-52. Justin Bibbs had a solid game for Virginia Tech, leading the team in scoring with 15 points on 6-for-7 shooting. Duke held the Hokies to an offensive rebounding percentage of 10.7 (below their season average of 23.3). Virginia Tech, meanwhile, forced the Blue Devils into a turnover percentage of 18.7 (above their season average of 14.2).
The Yellow Jackets are hoping for a better outcome after their 79-62 loss to the Wake Forest Demon Deacons in their last contest. Josh Okogie was the top scorer from either team with 20 points on 5-for-13 shooting. Wake Forest had a turnover percentage of 7.0 (better than their season average of 17.0). Georgia Tech, meanwhile, did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (17-24; 70.8 percent).
Virginia Tech should have the advantage on the offensive side of the ball. The Hokies currently rank 23rd in offensive efficiency, while Georgia Tech ranks 130th in defensive efficiency.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Hokies won the sole game played against each other last season, 62-61. Virginia Tech had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (27.3 vs. 16.7). Georgia Tech, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (14.8 vs. 17.3).
Virginia Tech Hokies vs. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Free Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Virginia Tech, ATS Winner – Virginia Tech, O/U – Under
- The Yellow Jackets rank 203rd in rebounds per game (34.1) while the Hokies rank 229th (33.4).
- Georgia Tech ranks 38th in three pointers allowed per game (19.3) while Virginia Tech ranks 261st (25.1).
- The Yellow Jackets rank 17th in blocks per game (5.3) while the Hokies rank 194th (2.3).
- Virginia Tech ranks 21st in assists per game (16.9) while Georgia Tech ranks 198th (12.6).
- The Yellow Jackets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 11.0, up from 1.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hokies have scored an average of 71.6 points per game (10.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.6 points per game (1.4 above their season average).