It figures to be a high-scoring affair as the Virginia Tech Hokies (10-4, 1-2 ACC), 4.5-point underdogs, travel to Syracuse to play the Orange (8-6, 1-2 ACC). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 137 points and it will air on ACC Network at 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 7, 2020.
Virginia Tech Hokies vs. Syracuse Orange ATS Odds
Both teams lost in their last outing. The Hokies (6.5-point underdogs) were defeated by the 19th-ranked Virginia Cavaliers, 65-39, while the Orange (3-point favorites) fell to the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, 88-87. The Virginia Tech game went 7.5 points under the projected point total of 111.5, while the Syracuse game finished 37.5 points over the projected point total of 137.5.
Virginia Tech did a fantastic job of making free throws (9-11; 81.8 percent) while Syracuse was lights out from beyond the arc (15-31; 48.4 percent). Syracuse’s Marek Dolezaj led the way, recording 13 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists. Virginia Tech was led by Landers Nolley II, who contributed 18 points and five rebounds.
The Hokies won the lone contest between these two teams last year, 78-56. Virginia Tech’s 0.292 free throw rate was their biggest strength over Syracuse, who had a rate of 0.127. This is the first time these teams will clash this year.
Of the Hokies’ 14 games, nine have finished under the projected point total. Virginia Tech holds records of 10-4 straight up (SU) and 7-7 against the spread (ATS).
Contrary to Virginia Tech, games involving the Orange have a tendency to finish over the total (64.3 percent). Moreover, Syracuse is 8-6 SU and 4-10 ATS.
It might turn into a shootout as a pair of the nation’s best offenses clash. Syracuse currently ranks 48th with 110.2 points per 100 possessions and Virginia Tech is 59th (109.4).
Virginia Tech at Syracuse Free Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Virginia Tech, ATS Winner – Virginia Tech, O/U – Over
- Virginia Tech averages 27.1 three pointers per game, which ranks 35th in the nation. Syracuse ranks 267th in three pointers allowed per game (28.7).
- The Orange rank 36th in blocks per game (4.6) while the Hokies rank 129th (2.9).
- Virginia Tech averages 35.6 rebounds per game, which ranks 161st in the nation. Syracuse ranks 186th in rebounds allowed per game (36.5).
- The Hokies rank 47th in assists per game (15.5) while the Orange rank 229th in assists allowed per game (16.4).
- Virginia Tech ranks second in steals allowed per game (4.0) while Syracuse ranks 114th (6.6).
- Syracuse is 3-7 ATS at home, while Virginia Tech is 2-3 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 3 of the Hokies’ 5 road games, while 5 of the Orange’s 10 home games have gone over.
- The Hokies are 2-3 ATS over their last five games, while the Orange are 0-5.
- In their last five games, Virginia Tech has 4 unders and 1 over, while Syracuse has 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Hokies’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 14.0, up from 10.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Orange have scored an average of 78.6 points per game (4.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 73.2 points per game (6.3 above their season average).