The Villanova Wildcats (10-4, 1-0 Big East) will be at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center to challenge the Providence Friars (10-4, 0-1 Big East) in a Big East matchup. Action begins at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 5, 2019.
Villanova Wildcats at Providence Friars Betting Odds
Both teams were victorious in their last game. The Friars defeated the Siena Saints 77-67, while the Wildcats dismantled the Morgan State Bears 100-77.
Villanova played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.299 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 44.4. Morgan State recorded marks of 0.085 and 25.6, respectively, for those same stats. The Friars, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (44.0 vs. 31.0) and had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.670 vs. 0.569). Providence was lifted by Alpha Diallo, who recorded 16 points, 11 rebounds and five assists. Meanwhile, Eric Paschall played a key role for Villanova with 26 points and seven rebounds.
The Wildcats captured this series last year, winning two out of three games. In the most recent contest, Villanova won 76-66. Villanova’s 0.508 effective field goal percentage was its largest strength over Providence, who had a rate of 0.426. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Diallo has really been playing well recently for Providence, averaging 0 points over the last five games.
Villanova Wildcats vs. Providence Friars Free Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Providence, ATS Winner – Villanova, O/U – Over
- Villanova ranks ninth in three pointers attempted per game (29.1) while Providence ranks 241st (18.8).
- The Friars rank 85th in assists per game (14.6) while the Wildcats rank 90th in assists allowed per game (12.4).
- The Wildcats rank 34th in rebounds allowed per game (31.4) while the Friars rank 98th (34.1).
- Providence ranks 47th in blocks per game (4.4) while Villanova ranks 107th (3.1).
- During their last five games, the Wildcats have scored an average of 76.6 points per game (1.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 67.0 points per game (0.9 above their season average).
- The Friars’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.2, down from 6.4 for the season.