The Hofstra Pride (7-3) and the No. 1 Villanova Wildcats (10-0) battle at Nassau Coliseum. Villanova opened as a 22.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 150.5 points. Tip-off is set for 8:30 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
Villanova Wildcats vs. Hofstra Pride Betting Preview
The Wildcats had no trouble getting past the Temple Owls in their last outing, 87-67. Jalen Brunson was the top scorer from either team with 31 points on 11-for-16 shooting. Villanova’s effective field goal percentage was their largest advantage over Temple. The Wildcats had a rate of 0.718 (above their season average of 0.578), while the Owls posted a mark of 0.536.
In the Pride’s last matchup, they defeated the Stony Brook Seawolves, 84-81. With 33 points on 10-for-18 shooting, Justin Wright-Foreman was the top scorer from either team. Hofstra played a nearly flawless game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 41.2 (above their season average of 34.8) and a free throw rate of 0.368 (above their season average of 0.239). Stony Brook recorded marks of 27.8 and 0.250, respectively, for those same stats.
The game should be a battle of strength against strength as the productive offense of Hofstra (51st in the nation with an offensive efficiency of 114.3) takes on the elite defense of Villanova (23rd in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 91.6). The Wildcats should be expected to protect the ball well. They rank 54th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.9 percent). Conversely, the Pride force the 95th-fewest turnovers in the nation (opponents turnover percentage of 18.1 percent).
Games featuring these teams have a tendency to go over the projected point total. Villanova games have finished over 60.0 percent of the time, while Hofstra games have finished over 57.1 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Wildcats have a clear advantage. They are 10-0 SU and 8-3 ATS, while the Pride are 7-3 SU and 3-4 ATS.
Wright-Foreman has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Hofstra, averaging 23.6 points per game.
Villanova Wildcats vs. Hofstra Pride Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Villanova, ATS Winner – Hofstra, O/U – Under
- The Wildcats rank 13th in rebounds allowed per game (30.3) while the Pride rank 93rd (33.7).
- Villanova ranks 45th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while Hofstra ranks 116th (3.7).
- Villanova ranks 44th in assists per game (16.5) while Hofstra ranks 160th in assists allowed per game (14.2).
- The Wildcats rank 44th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while the Pride rank 142nd (7.1).
- Villanova ranks 45th in three pointers attempted per game (26.0) while Hofstra ranks 132nd in three pointers allowed per game (21.9).
- The Pride’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.2, up from 3.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wildcats have scored an average of 82.0 points per game (3.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 62.0 points per game (1.8 below their season average).