The Villanova Wildcats (8-4) will clash against the Connecticut Huskies (9-3) at Madison Square Garden. Action gets underway at 12:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 22, 2018.
Villanova Wildcats vs. Connecticut Huskies Betting Odds
Both teams were victorious in their last game. The Huskies defeated the Morehead State Eagles 80-70, while the Wildcats won big over the Morgan State Bears 100-77.
Villanova dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.299 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 44.4. Morgan State was 0.085 and 25.6, respectively, for those same stats. Meanwhile, Connecticut played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 15.4 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.8. For those same stats, Morehead State was 19.9 and 32.5, respectively. Connecticut was led by Josh Carlton, who contributed 17 points and eight rebounds. Eric Paschall had a good game for Villanova, recording 26 points and seven rebounds.
The Wildcats won the lone game between these two teams last year, 81-61. Villanova had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (40.0 vs. 20.0). Connecticut, on the other hand, did an excellent job of making free throws (13-15; 86.7 percent). This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
Jalen Adams and Alterique Gilbert have been playing well over the last five games for Connecticut. Adams has averaged 0 points, while Gilbert has recorded 0 points a game during that span.
It will be a matchup of contrasting paces as the up-tempo Huskies (ranked 60th in the nation in possessions per game) will look to push the slower-paced Wildcats (323rd in possessions per game).
Villanova Wildcats vs. Connecticut Huskies Odds Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Connecticut, O/U – Under
- Villanova ranks 13th in three pointers attempted per game (29.3) while Connecticut ranks 142nd (22.2).
- The Huskies rank 21st in blocks per game (5.2) while the Wildcats rank 87th (3.4).
- The Huskies rank 39th in steals per game (7.9) while the Wildcats rank 167th (5.0).
- Villanova ranks 40th in rebounds allowed per game (31.8) while Connecticut ranks 109th (34.4).
- During their last five games, the Huskies have scored an average of 84.0 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 75.4 points per game (4.8 above their season average).
- The Wildcats’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.6, up from 8.0 for the season.