The 12th-ranked Villanova Wildcats (20-6, 9-4 Big East) will be at the Cintas Center to clash against the Xavier Musketeers (17-9, 6-7 Big East) in a Big East matchup. Action begins at 2:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 22, 2020.
Villanova Wildcats at Xavier Musketeers Betting Odds
Both teams were victorious in their last game. The Musketeers edged the St. John’s Red Storm 77-74, while the Wildcats easily got past the DePaul Blue Demons 91-71.
The Wildcats had a ridiculous effective field goal percentage of 0.724 (above their season average of 0.520) and held the Blue Demons to an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.2 (below their season average of 30.7). The Musketeers, on the other hand, held the Red Storm to an effective field goal percentage of 0.395 (below their season average of 0.462) and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.8 (above their season average of 32.4). Xavier was led by Naji Marshall, who finished with 15 points, 11 rebounds and five assists. Saddiq Bey, meanwhile had a good outing for Villanova, recording 20 points and seven assists.
In their first matchup this year, Collin Gillespie led the Wildcats to a 68-62 win. He was the game’s leading scorer with 24 points. Villanova’s free throw rate was their biggest advantage over Xavier. The Wildcats had a rate of 0.177, while the Musketeers posted a mark of 0.121.
Points at the line could be hard to come by for Xavier in this meeting. The Musketeers currently rank 270th in the country with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.202, while Villanova ranks 17th in FTA rate allowed (0.160). Moreover, the Wildcats’ 59th-ranked offense (effective field goal percentage of 0.528) will clash against the Musketeers’ 28th-ranked defense (effective field goal percentage allowed of 0.452).
Villanova Wildcats at Xavier Musketeers Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Xavier, ATS Winner – Xavier, O/U – Over
- Villanova ranks 25th in three pointers attempted per game (27.2) while Xavier ranks 178th (21.1).
- The Wildcats average 14.9 assists per game, which ranks 43rd in the country. The Musketeers rank 102nd in assists allowed per game (11.9).
- The Musketeers rank 17th in rebounds per game (40.0) while the Wildcats rank 124th (36.0).
- Xavier averages 3.7 blocks per game, which ranks 69th in the NCAA. Villanova ranks 128th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- The Musketeers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.8, up from 4.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wildcats have scored an average of 75.8 points per game (1.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 69.4 points per game (2.5 above their season average).