SEC foes will collide when the South Carolina Gamecocks (8-5, 0-2 SEC) take on the Vanderbilt Commodores (6-8, 1-1 SEC) at Colonial Life Arena. South Carolina opened as a 3-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 135.5 points. Action starts at 6:45 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018, and it can be seen on SEC Network.
Vanderbilt Commodores at South Carolina Gamecocks Odds Preview
The last time the Commodores played, they barely escaped the Alabama Crimson Tide, 76-75. Saben Lee led Vanderbilt in scoring with 23 points on 7-for-14 shooting. The Commodores held the Crimson Tide to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.3 (below their season average of 29.9) and had a free throw rate of 0.370 (above their season average of 0.301).
The Gamecocks are hoping for a better outcome after their 79-68 loss to the Missouri Tigers in their last contest. Chris Silva led South Carolina in scoring with 18 points on 4-for-6 shooting. Missouri held the Gamecocks to an effective field goal percentage of 0.430 (below their season average of 0.485). South Carolina, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (13.8 vs. 17.9).
South Carolina appears to have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Gamecocks currently rank 99th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.480), while Vanderbilt is 267th in effective field goal percentage (0.490). Additionally, the Commodores, who rank 21st in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.306), will clash against the Gamecocks, who rank 314th in opponents FTA rate (0.300).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Commodores won the only contest played against each other last season, 71-62. Vanderbilt had a much better free throw rate (0.489 vs. 0.232). South Carolina, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (15.4 vs. 20.2).
Vanderbilt Commodores vs. South Carolina Gamecocks Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Vanderbilt, ATS Winner – Vanderbilt, O/U – Under
- The Gamecocks rank 47th in rebounds allowed per game (32.2) while the Commodores rank 92nd (33.8).
- Vanderbilt is 20th in the nation with 10.3 assists allowed per game while South Carolina is 58th with 11.6 assists allowed per game.
- Vanderbilt ranks 10th in steals allowed per game (4.4) while South Carolina ranks 180th (8.2).
- The Commodores rank 50th in three pointers attempted per game (25.9) while the Gamecocks rank 161st (21.5).
- Vanderbilt ranks 82nd in blocks per game (3.8) while South Carolina ranks 156th in blocks allowed per game (4.7).
- The Gamecocks have been outscored by an average of 0.2 points in their last five games. On the season, South Carolina has defeated opponents by an average of 5.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Commodores have scored an average of 77.4 points per game (5.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 66.2 points per game (3.4 below their season average).