Expect a high-scoring game when the Vanderbilt Commodores (8-5) square off against the fifth-ranked Auburn Tigers (13-0, 1-0 SEC) at Auburn Arena. Action begins at 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 8, 2020, and can be seen on SEC Network.
Vanderbilt Commodores vs. Auburn Tigers ATS Odds
In their last game, the Tigers beat the Mississippi State Bulldogs, 80-68, while the Commodores were beaten by the SMU Mustangs, 92-81.
Auburn played a nearly perfect game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.454 (below their season average of 0.538) and a free throw rate of 0.323 (above their season average of 0.269). For those same stats, Mississippi State was 0.360 and 0.279, respectively. Vanderbilt, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (14.3 vs. 17.7). Auburn was led by J’Von McCormick, who recorded 28 points. Meanwhile, Aaron Nesmith had a good outing for Vanderbilt, recording 29 points.
The Tigers won the lone contest between these two teams last season, 64-53. The Tigers’ turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Commodores. Auburn had a rate of 10.2, while Vanderbilt posted a mark of 24.9. This is the first time these teams will battle this year.
The productive offense of Auburn will clash against the bottom-tier defense of Vanderbilt. The Tigers rank 12th in offensive efficiency, while the Commodores are 260th in defensive efficiency. The Tigers figure to have the advantage on that end of the court.
Vanderbilt Commodores vs. Auburn Tigers Free Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Auburn, ATS Winner – Vanderbilt, O/U – Over
- Auburn ranks seventh in rebounds per game (42.2) while Vanderbilt ranks 193rd (34.8).
- Both of these teams are exceptional at blocking the ball. The Tigers are seventh in the nation with 6.4 blocks per game while the Commodores are 42nd with 4.5 blocks per game.
- Vanderbilt ranks 54th in three pointers attempted per game (25.7) while Auburn ranks 85th in three pointers allowed per game (20.4).
- The Tigers rank 27th in assists allowed per game (10.2) while the Commodores rank 117th (12.5).
- Vanderbilt ranks 59th in steals per game (7.8) while Auburn ranks 142nd in steals allowed per game (7.0).
- The Commodores have been outscored by an average of 0.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Vanderbilt has defeated opponents by an average of 6.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 77.2 points per game (4.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 62.4 points per game (3.4 below their season average).