The Illinois State Redbirds (8-17, 3-10 MVC) welcome the Valparaiso Crusaders (13-13, 6-7 MVC) to Redbird Arena. The Crusaders look to snap a five-game road losing streak. The game gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 15, 2020.
Valparaiso Crusaders at Illinois State Redbirds ATS Odds
In their last game, the Redbirds were beaten by the UNI Panthers, 71-63, while the Crusaders defeated the Southern Illinois Salukis, 55-38.
The Crusaders held the Salukis to an effective field goal percentage of 0.282 (below their season average of 0.503). The Salukis had a free throw rate of 0.127 (below their season average of 0.242). Illinois State, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (29.7 vs. 27.6). DJ Horne had a solid game for Illinois State with 16 points and six rebounds. Javon Freeman-Liberty, meanwhile had a good outing for Valparaiso, contributing 14 points and seven rebounds.
In their first matchup this year, Ben Krikke led the Crusaders to an 80-70 win. He recorded 17 points and eight rebounds. One of Valparaiso’s biggest strengths was getting to the free throw line. They had 30 free throw attempts, while Illinois State had 18.
This has potential to be a mistake-prone game for the offense of Illinois State. Illinois State ranks 274th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.5 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Valparaiso forces the 54th-most turnovers in the country (22.0 percent).
Valparaiso Crusaders vs. Illinois State Redbirds Free Pick
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Valparaiso, ATS Winner – Valparaiso, O/U – Under
- Valparaiso ranks 39th in assists per game (15.0) while Illinois State ranks 187th (12.2).
- The Crusaders rank 192nd in rebounds per game (34.3) while the Redbirds rank 230th (33.2).
- Illinois State allows the 40th-fewest blocks per game (2.6) while Valparaiso ranks 51st (2.8).
- The Crusaders rank 31st in steals per game (8.2) while the Redbirds rank 178th (5.5).
- Valparaiso averages 24.4 three pointers per game, which ranks 73rd in the NCAA. Illinois State ranks 148th in three pointers allowed per game (21.8).
- The Redbirds’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.0, down from 4.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Crusaders have scored an average of 64.6 points per game (7.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 64.2 points per game (6.6 below their season average).