A 10-game home winning streak is on the line for the UNI Panthers (14-2, 3-1 MVC) when they challenge the Valparaiso Crusaders (9-8, 2-2 MVC) at McLeod Center. The game is scheduled to start at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 15, 2020.
Valparaiso Crusaders vs. UNI Panthers Betting Odds
Both teams were victorious in their last game. The Panthers dismantled the Missouri State Bears 80-57, while the Crusaders were victorious over the Drake Bulldogs 66-61.
Valparaiso played a nearly perfect game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.316 (above their season average of 0.182) and a turnover percentage of 15.4 (better than their season average of 17.1). Drake recorded marks of 0.053 and 23.4, respectively, for those same stats. Meanwhile, UNI dominated nearly every stat category in their game. They had an absurd effective field goal percentage of 0.652 (above their season average of 0.555) and a free throw rate of 0.125 (below their season average of 0.226). For those same stats, Missouri State had marks of 0.391 and 0.109, respectively. UNI’s AJ Green had a solid performance, putting up 28 points. Valparaiso was lifted by Donovan Clay, who had 18 points and seven rebounds.
This was a highly contested series last year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, the Panthers won 64-53. Making free throws was one of UNI’s biggest advantages. They were 15-17 (88.2 percent), while the Crusaders were just 6-10 (60.0 percent). This will be the first game of the year between these two teams.
The sharp-shooting offense of UNI will face off against the porous defense of Valparaiso. The Panthers currently rank 11th in effective field goal percentage (0.561), while the Crusaders are 327th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.537). The Panthers should have the edge on that end of the court. Moreover, the Crusaders rank 285th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.189), while the Panthers rank 41st in opponents’ FTA rate (0.167).
Valparaiso vs. UNI Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – UNI, ATS Winner – UNI, O/U – Over
- Valparaiso ranks 34th in steals per game (8.5) while UNI ranks 227th (4.3).
- The Crusaders rank 42nd in three pointers allowed per game (18.7) while the Panthers rank 105th (20.9).
- UNI ranks eighth in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while Valparaiso ranks 61st (3.0).
- The Crusaders rank 27th in assists per game (16.2) while the Panthers rank 196th (11.9).
- UNI ranks 16th in rebounds allowed per game (30.4) while Valparaiso ranks 131st (34.9).
- The Panthers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.6, down from 12.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Crusaders have scored an average of 65.6 points per game (8.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.2 points per game (3.8 below their season average).