CUSA foes will collide when the Old Dominion Monarchs (20-5, 11-2 CUSA) clash with the UTEP Miners (8-17, 3-10 CUSA) at Constant Convocation Center. Old Dominion is a 17-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 133 points. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 17, 2018.
UTEP Miners at Old Dominion Monarchs Free Preview
The last time the Miners played, they barely escaped the Charlotte 49ers, 87-86. With 22 points and seven rebounds, UTEP’s Isiah Osborne had a good performance. The Miners had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 28.1 (above their season average of 19.1) and had a turnover percentage of 15.3 (better than their season average of 16.4).
The Monarchs hope to keep it rolling after thoroughly outplaying the UTSA Roadrunners in their last game, 100-62. With 36 points on 11-for-17 shooting, B.J. Stith was the top scorer from either team. Old Dominion played a perfect game. They had a superb turnover percentage of 8.7 (better than their season average of 13.4) and a free throw rate of 0.302 (above their season average of 0.240). For those same stats, UTSA was 21.1 and 0.192, respectively.
The prolific offense of Old Dominion will face off against the mid-tier defense of UTEP. The Monarchs currently rank 63rd in offensive efficiency, while the Miners are 174th in defensive efficiency. The Monarchs figure to have the edge on that side of the ball.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. The Monarchs won the lone game played against each other last season, 62-61. Old Dominion had a better offensive rebounding percentage (24.1 vs. 20.7). UTEP, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (14-19; 73.7 percent).
UTEP Miners vs. Old Dominion Monarchs Odds Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Old Dominion, ATS Winner – UTEP, O/U – Over
- The Monarchs rank 42nd in blocks per game (4.4) while the Miners rank 158th (2.8).
- UTEP ranks 148th in three pointers attempted per game (21.8) while Old Dominion ranks 227th (19.6).
- Old Dominion ranks 65th in rebounds per game (37.9) while UTEP ranks 270th in rebounds allowed per game (38.6).
- The Monarchs rank 38th in steals per game (7.5) while the Miners rank 238th (4.2).
- Old Dominion ranks 76th in assists per game (15.2) while UTEP ranks 258th (10.8).
- The Monarchs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.8, down from 11.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Miners have scored an average of 64.2 points per game (4.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.2 points per game (3.8 above their season average).