The Rice Owls (9-11, 1-6 CUSA) welcome the UTEP Miners (11-8, 2-4 CUSA) to Tudor Fieldhouse. The Miners can end a six-game road losing streak. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 23, 2020.
UTEP Miners at Rice Owls Betting Odds
Both teams were beaten in their last contest. The Owls were blown out by the North Texas Mean Green, 79-59, while the Miners lost to the UTSA Roadrunners, 86-70.
UTEP had a turnover percentage of 12.2 (better than their season average of 19.5) while Rice had an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 (above their season average of 24.4). Trey Murphy III had a solid game for Rice with 11 points and 10 rebounds. Bryson Williams had a solid performance for UTEP, putting up 21 points and seven rebounds.
This was a highly competitive series last year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Owls won the most recent matchup 85-81. One of Rice’s largest advantages was getting to the free throw line. They had 39 free throw attempts, while UTEP had 26. This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
Rice might have difficulty putting up points as they battle against one of the nation’s best defenses. UTEP currently ranks 62nd in defensive efficiency, while the Owls rank 218th in offensive efficiency. Moreover, the Miners, who rank 22nd in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.285), will clash against the Owls, who rank 55th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.177).
UTEP Miners vs. Rice Owls Betting Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Rice, ATS Winner – Rice, O/U – Over
- Rice ranks 14th in three pointers attempted per game (28.6) while UTEP ranks 166th (21.6).
- The Miners rank 22nd in blocks allowed per game (2.4) while the Owls rank 88th (3.3).
- The Miners rank 26th in assists allowed per game (10.2) while the Owls rank 137th (12.8).
- UTEP ranks 124th in rebounds allowed per game (34.7) while Rice ranks 230th (37.6).
- The Owls’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.0, up from 2.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Miners have scored an average of 68.6 points per game (0.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.0 points per game (4.7 above their season average).