A five-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the Grand Canyon Antelopes (18-10, 7-5 WAC) when they welcome the Utah Valley Wolverines (20-8, 9-3 WAC) to Grand Canyon University Arena. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Utah Valley Wolverines vs. Grand Canyon Antelopes Odds Preview
In the Wolverines last game, they had no trouble getting past the Bakersfield Roadrunners, 70-47. Conner Toolson was the top scorer from either team with 22 points on 7-for-11 shooting. Utah Valley played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.217 (below their season average of 0.282) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.652 (above their season average of 0.555). Bakersfield was 0.111 and 0.380, respectively, for those same stats.
The Antelopes hope to maintain momentum after topping the Seattle Redhawks in their last outing, 76-64. With 30 points on 7-for-19 shooting, Alessandro Lever was the top scorer from either team. Grand Canyon dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.306 (above their season average of 0.275) and a turnover percentage of 14.4 (better than their season average of 16.6). For those same stats, Seattle recorded marks of 0.158 and 20.1, respectively.
Baskets could be hard to come by in this showdown between a pair of the nations best defenses. Grand Canyon currently ranks third in defensive efficiency (91.1) and Utah Valley is 37th (97.6). Ball protection could be troublesome for the Wolverines. They rank 264th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 19.9 percent), while the Antelopes force the 29th-most turnovers in the NCAA (opponents turnover percentage of 22.2 percent).
Kenneth Ogbe has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Utah Valley, averaging 12.8 points per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Wolverines won 68-56. The Wolverines dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.468 and a turnover percentage of 10.4. For those same stats, the Antelopes were 0.136 and 19.8, respectively. Lever was the games top overall scorer with 22 points.
Utah Valley Wolverines at Grand Canyon Antelopes Free Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Utah Valley, ATS Winner – Utah Valley, O/U – Over
- The Antelopes rank 123rd in steals per game (6.3) while the Wolverines rank 197th in steals allowed per game (7.6).
- Grand Canyon ranks 11th in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while Utah Valley ranks 66th (3.0).
- Grand Canyon ranks 10th in assists allowed per game (10.0) while Utah Valley ranks 215th (14.8).
- The Wolverines rank 30th in rebounds allowed per game (31.4) while the Antelopes rank 223rd (36.6).
- Grand Canyon ranks seventh in three pointers allowed per game (16.5) while Utah Valley ranks 91st (20.5).
- The Antelopes average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.4, down from 10.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wolverines have scored an average of 81.4 points per game (2.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 66.4 points per game (1.9 below their season average).