The Utah State Aggies (14-15, 7-9 MWC) will travel to San Jose State Event Center to meet the San Jose State Spartans (3-24, 0-16 MWC) in their home finale. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 139.5 points with Utah State set as a 7-point favorite. Action starts at 10 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 28, 2018.
Utah State Aggies vs. San Jose State Spartans Odds Preview
The Aggies lost to the Air Force Falcons in their last matchup, 75-65. Utah State’s Dwayne Brown Jr. had 12 points and eight rebounds in the contest. Air Force had a free throw rate of 0.333 (above their season average of 0.239). Utah State, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 39.5 (above their season average of 25.8).
In the Spartans’ last game, they were beaten by the San Diego State Aztecs, 71-59. Keith Fisher III was the top scorer from either team with 21 points on 6-for-12 shooting. San Diego State had a much better turnover percentage (12.1 vs. 19.4). San Jose State, on the other hand, held the Aztecs to an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.6 (below their season average of 33.0).
Second-chance opportunities might be rare for San Jose State in this battle. The Spartans rank 193rd in offensive rebounding percentage (28.7 percent), while Utah State ranks 89th in defensive rebounding percentage (73.3 percent).
Games featuring these teams have typically gone under the O/U total. Utah State games have finished under 57.7 percent of the time, while 61.5 percent of San Jose State games have finished under. The Aggies hold the significant advantage straight up (SU) (14-15 vs. 3-24), but the Spartans have been superior against the spread (ATS) (13-13 vs. 12-14).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 158 points, well over the projected point total of 135.5. The Aggies won 86-72, covering as 13-point favorites. Utah State had a much better turnover percentage (5.1 vs. 29.2). San Jose State, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (38.5 vs. 18.9). Despite the loss, Ryan Welage was a top performer in the game with 22 points and eight rebounds.
Utah State Aggies vs. San Jose State Spartans Odds Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Utah State, ATS Winner – Utah State, O/U – Under
- The Aggies rank 220th in steals per game (4.9) while the Spartans rank 236th (4.7).
- On the road, Utah State is 6-8 ATS with 11 unders, 2 overs and 1 push.
- San Jose State is 7-5 ATS at home with 8 unders and 4 overs.
- Utah State ranks 54th in three pointers attempted per game (25.0) while San Jose State ranks 296th (15.9).
- The Aggies rank 143rd in assists allowed per game (13.4) while the Spartans rank 258th (16.1).
- San Jose State ranks 39th in rebounds allowed per game (32.0) while Utah State ranks 109th (33.9).
- San Jose State is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Utah State is 1-4 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Spartans’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 14.0, up from 9.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Aggies have scored an average of 70.2 points per game (3.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 78.8 points per game (6.0 above their season average).