MWC foes will collide when the San Diego State Aztecs (8-4, 0-1 MWC) square off with the Utah State Aggies (8-6, 1-0 MWC) at Viejas Arena at Aztec Bowl. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 142 points with San Diego State set as a 10-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 30, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Utah State Aggies vs. San Diego State Aztecs Betting Preview
The last time the Aggies played, they defeated the San Jose State Spartans, 86-72. Koby McEwen was the games leading scorer with 24 points on 8-for-19 shooting. Utah State’s turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over San Jose State. The Aggies had a rate of 5.1 (better than their season average of 16.7), while the Spartans posted a mark of 29.2 (above their season average of 21.0).
The Aztecs are trying to rebound after their 82-69 loss to the Wyoming Cowboys in their last game. Malik Pope was San Diego State’s high scorer with 21 points on 10-for-22 shooting. Wyoming did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (16-22; 72.7 percent). San Diego State, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (28.2 vs. 19.4).
The aggressive San Diego State offense seems poised to dominate from the foul line. The Aztecs currently rank 59th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.281, while Utah State ranks 236th in FTA rate allowed (0.255). ,
Of Utah State’s 11 games that accepted bets, six have finished under the projected point total, while 6 of San Diego State’s 10 games have finished over the O/U total. The Aztecs hold a substantial advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 8-4 SU and 6-4 ATS, while the Aggies are 8-6 SU and 5-6 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. The Aztecs won both games played against each other last season. In the last game, San Diego State won 66-62. San Diego State had a much better turnover percentage (12.3 vs. 19.9). Utah State, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (21.2 vs. 19.4).
Utah State Aggies at San Diego State Aztecs ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – San Diego State, ATS Winner – Utah State, O/U – Under
- The Aggies rank 130th in assists per game (13.9) while the Aztecs rank 131st in assists allowed per game (13.7).
- On the road, Utah State is 3-3 ATS with 4 unders, 1 over and 1 push.
- San Diego State is 3-1 ATS at home with 3 unders and 1 over.
- San Diego State ranks 20th in rebounds per game (40.9) while Utah State ranks 171st (35.0).
- The Aggies rank 84th in three pointers attempted per game (24.3) while the Aztecs rank 217th in three pointers allowed per game (25.2).
- Utah State ranks 134th in steals per game (5.9) while San Diego State ranks 145th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- San Diego State is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Utah State is 1-3 ATS with 2 overs, 1 under and 1 push.
- The Aztecs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.0, down from 11.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Aggies have scored an average of 80.4 points per game (5.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 68.8 points per game (0.3 below their season average).