MWC foes will clash when the New Mexico Lobos (12-14, 7-6 MWC) meet the Utah State Aggies (14-12, 7-6 MWC) at Dreamstyle Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 149.5 points with New Mexico opening as a 5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 14, 2018.
Utah State Aggies vs. New Mexico Lobos Free Preview
The Aggies beat the Boise State Broncos in their last contest, 71-65. Koby McEwen was Utah State’s leading scorer with 23 points on 9-for-14 shooting. The Aggies forced 16 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.563 (above their season average of 0.536).
In the Lobos last matchup, they were beaten by the Air Force Falcons, 100-92. Makuach Maluach was the games high scorer with 26 points on 10-for-14 shooting. Air Force held the Lobos to an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.0 (below their season average of 27.0). New Mexico, meanwhile, did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (22-28; 78.6 percent).
New Mexico should have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Lobos rank 92nd in offensive efficiency, while Utah State ranks 227th in defensive efficiency.
Of Utah State’s 23 games that accepted bets, 13 have finished under the projected point total, while 12 of New Mexico’s 23 games have finished under the O/U total. The Aggies have the better straight up (SU) record (14-12 vs. 12-14), but both teams are near the .500 mark against the spread (ATS).
Anthony Mathis has been solid over the last five games for New Mexico, averaging 18.2 points per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 169 points, well over the projected point total of 144. The Aggies won 89-80, covering as 3-point favorites. The Aggies played a nearly flawless game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.255 and a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 34.6. For those same stats, the Lobos were 0.150 and 25.8, respectively. McEwen recorded a double-double with 31 points and 13 rebounds.
Utah State Aggies vs. New Mexico Lobos ATS Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – New Mexico, ATS Winner – Utah State, O/U – Under
- The Lobos rank 46th in assists per game (16.0) while the Aggies rank 146th (13.8).
- Utah State is 6-6 ATS on the road, while New Mexico is 8-4 ATS at home.
- In 12 road games, the Aggies have 9 unders, 2 overs and 1 push.
- The Lobos have 6 unders and 5 overs in 12 home games.
- New Mexico ranks 48th in steals per game (7.4) while Utah State ranks 209th (5.2).
- The Lobos average 30.3 three pointers per game, which ranks third in the NCAA. The Aggies rank 139th in three pointers allowed per game (21.7).
- Utah State ranks 125th in rebounds allowed per game (34.3) while New Mexico ranks 236th (37.6).
- New Mexico is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Utah State is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Lobos have been outscored by an average of 0.2 points in their last five games. For the season, New Mexico has defeated opponents by an average of 3.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Aggies have scored an average of 72.2 points per game (1.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 67.8 points per game (4.0 below their season average).