The Charlotte Hornets (15-24) will be at home in Spectrum Center when they challenge the Utah Jazz (17-24). The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 207.5 points with Charlotte set as a 4-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 12, 2018.
Utah Jazz vs. Charlotte Hornets ATS Preview
The Jazz won a close one over the Washington Wizards in their last contest, 107-104. With 16 points and nine rebounds, Ekpe Udoh played well for Utah. Utah’s turnover percentage was their largest advantage over Washington. The Jazz had a rate of 10.9 (better than their season average of 13.3), while the Wizards posted a mark of 21.2 (above their season average of 12.0).
In the Hornets last matchup, they were defeated by the Dallas Mavericks, 115-111. Kemba Walker was the games leading scorer with 41 points on 16-for-28 shooting. Dallas did a great job of getting and making free throws (22-28; 78.6 percent). Charlotte, meanwhile, held the Mavericks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 7.1 (below their season average of 17.2).
Ball security could play a key role in this contest. Charlotte commits the third-fewest miscues in the NBA (turnover percentage of 12.7 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Utah forces the fourth-most (opponents turnover percentage of 15.7 percent). Also, the Jazz, who rank 28th in offensive rebounding percentage (19.6 percent), could have a tough time getting second chance points against the Hornets, who rank first in defensive rebounding percentage (81.4 percent).
Of Utah’s 41 games, 21 have finished under the projected point total, while 21 of Charlotte’s 39 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have middling straight up (SU) records (17-24 for Utah; 15-24 for Charlotte), but the Jazz have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Utah is 21-20 ATS, while the Hornets are 15-20-4.
Donovan Mitchell has really been playing well over the last five games for Utah, averaging 22.4 points, 3.8 assists and 1.6 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Jazz won the most recent contest 105-98. The Jazz played a nearly flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.9 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.549. For those same stats, the Hornets had marks of 7.0 and 0.506, respectively.
Utah Jazz at Charlotte Hornets Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Under
- The Hornets rank first in points off turnovers allowed per game (13.9) while the Jazz rank 17th (16.6).
- Charlotte ranks 15th in points in the paint per game (43.3) while Utah ranks 25th (41.7).
- Utah ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (20.2) while Charlotte ranks 19th (23.4).
- Utah ranks 17th in blocks per game (4.6) while Charlotte ranks 19th in blocks allowed per game (4.9).
- Utah is 8-13 ATS on the road with 12 overs, 8 unders and 1 push.
- At home, Charlotte is 9-11-1 ATS with 12 unders and 9 overs.
- Charlotte is 7-2 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Utah is 10-3.
- The Hornets and Jazz are both 15-10 when they score more than 100 points.
- The Jazz average 30.1 three pointers per game, which ranks ninth in the NBA. The Hornets rank 23rd in three pointers allowed per game (30.4).
- Utah ranks second in steals per game (9.2) while Charlotte ranks 28th (6.6).
- The Hornets rank third in rebounds per game (46.5) while the Jazz rank 25th (40.7).
- The Hornets rank 23rd in fast break points per game (9.5) while the Jazz rank 26th (9.0).
- Charlotte ranks ninth in second chance points per game (13.3) while Utah ranks 26th (10.4).
- Charlotte is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Utah is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Hornets have outscored opponents by an average of 6.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Charlotte has lost by an average of 1.0 point.
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 100.4 points per game (0.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 103.0 points per game (1.2 above their season average).