The New Orleans Pelicans (38-27) will try to snap the five-game winning streak of Utah when they welcome the Jazz (36-30) to Smoothie King Center. Action gets underway at 4 p.m. ET on Sunday, March 11, 2018.
Utah Jazz at New Orleans Pelicans Betting Preview
In the Jazz’s last contest, they defeated the Memphis Grizzlies, 95-78. With 15 points, 10 rebounds and five assists, Utah’s Ricky Rubio had a solid performance. Utah played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.216 (above their season average of 0.199) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.534 (above their season average of 0.523). For those same stats, Memphis put up marks of 0.120 and 0.410, respectively.
The Pelicans are trying to rebound after their 116-97 loss to the Washington Wizards in their last game. With 14 points and nine rebounds, Cheick Diallo played well for New Orleans. Washington held the Pelicans to an offensive rebounding percentage of 4.9 (below their season average of 19.9). New Orleans, meanwhile, did a terrific job of making free throws (15-18; 83.3 percent).
This contest should be a battle of opposite styles. New Orleans has preferred an up-tempo style of play (second in possessions per game), while Utah has been more methodical (28th in possessions per game).
Of Utah’s 66 games, 36 have finished under the projected point total, while 40 of New Orleans 65 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Jazz are 36-30 SU and 35-31 ATS, while the Pelicans are 38-27 SU and 36-29 ATS.
Rudy Gobert has really been playing well recently for Utah, averaging 20.6 points, 13.0 rebounds, 2.4 blocks and 1.4 steals over the last five games.
These two teams have already met three times this year, with the Jazz leading the series two games to one. Jrue Holiday had 28 points and five rebounds in the most recent contest, in which the Pelicans lost 133-109, unable to cover as 1-point underdogs. The two teams combined to score 242 points, which was 25.5 points above the projected point total of 216.5 points. The Jazz played a flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.169 and a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 27.3. The Pelicans were 0.075 and 14.3, respectively, for those same stats.
Utah Jazz at New Orleans Pelicans ATS Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Over
- The Pelicans rank second in assists per game (26.5) while the Jazz rank 24th (21.6).
- Utah ranks 12th in points off turnovers per game (16.6) while New Orleans ranks 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.6).
- Utah averages 8.7 steals per game, which ranks third in the NBA. New Orleans ranks 23rd in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- New Orleans ranks third in blocks per game (5.7) while Utah ranks 12th (4.9).
- On the road, Utah is 17-17 ATS with 17 overs, 16 unders and 1 push.
- At home, New Orleans is 13-17 ATS with 22 overs and 8 unders.
- New Orleans is 8-1 when they allow less than 100 points, while Utah is 24-5.
- When reaching the century mark, the Jazz are 27-11 and the Pelicans are 36-18.
- The Jazz rank sixth in rebounds allowed per game (41.9) while the Pelicans rank 25th (45.3).
- Utah ranks third in second chance points allowed per game (10.8) while New Orleans ranks 28th (13.6).
- The Jazz rank third in fast break points allowed per game (9.6) while the Pelicans rank 28th (14.5).
- The Jazz average 29.3 three pointers per game, which ranks 13th in the league. The Pelicans rank 24th in three pointers allowed per game (30.6).
- Utah ranks fourth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.8) while New Orleans ranks 27th (47.8).
- New Orleans is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Utah is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Pelicans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.2, up from 0.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 101.4 points per game (1.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 88.2 points per game (12.2 below their season average).