The Utah Jazz (26-12) and the Washington Wizards (13-25) square off at Capital One Arena. The Jazz will try to extend their eight-game winning streak. The game gets underway at 3:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 12, 2020.
Utah Jazz at Washington Wizards Betting Odds
Both teams covered in their last contest. The Wizards (1.5-point underdogs) defeated the Atlanta Hawks 111-101, while the Jazz (12.5-point favorite) beat the Charlotte Hornets 109-92. The Washington game finished 26 points under the projected point total of 238, while the Utah game went 8.5 points under the projected point total of 209.5.
Utah dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 15.0 (worse than their season average of 13.6) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.1 (above their season average of 20.1). For those same stats, Charlotte recorded marks of 19.3 and 18.4, respectively. Washington, on the other hand, played a nearly perfect game. They had an absurdly low turnover percentage of 6.8 (better than their season average of 11.6) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.8 (above their season average of 22.5). Atlanta had marks of 15.3 and 19.1, respectively, for those same stats. Washington received a boost from Jordan McRae, who finished with 29 points, eight rebounds and six assists. Meanwhile, Rudy Gobert fueled Utah with 15 points, 13 rebounds and five blocks.
The Jazz dominated this series last year, taking both games. In the most recent contest, Utah won 128-124. Utah did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (18-18; 100.0 percent). Washington, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (10.8 vs. 15.9). This is the first time these teams will battle this year.
Games featuring the Jazz have finished under the total 52.6 percent of the time. Utah heads into the game with records of 26-12 straight up (SU) and 18-18-2 against the spread (ATS).
Wizards games tend to finish over the total (55.3 percent). Moreover, Washington is 13-25 SU and 20-18 ATS.
It will be a battle of conflicting tempos as the fast-breaking Wizards (ranked seventh in the league in possessions per game) will look to push the slower-paced Jazz (28th in possessions per game). Furthermore, the Jazz’s third-ranked offense (effective field goal percentage of 0.545) will clash against the Wizards’ 30th-ranked defense (effective field goal percentage allowed of 0.554).
Utah Jazz at Washington Wizards ATS Pick
Free Pick: SU Winner – Wizards, ATS Winner – Wizards, O/U – Under
- The Jazz rank third in three pointers allowed per game (31.4) while the Wizards rank 12th (33.0).
- Washington ranks second in second chance points per game (15.0) while Utah ranks last (10.8).
- The Jazz rank 10th in points allowed in the paint per game (45.6) while the Wizards rank 27th (51.7).
- Washington ranks 12th in steals per game (7.8) while Utah ranks 26th (5.9).
- Washington ranks 16th in fast break points per game (12.7) while Utah ranks 26th (10.5).
- The Jazz rank first in assists allowed per game (20.4) while the Wizards rank 26th (25.4).
- The Jazz rank 13th in rebounds per game (45.6) while the Wizards rank 26th (42.6).
- Utah and Washington both average 4.2 blocks per game, which ranks 26th in the NBA.
- Washington ranks fifth in points off turnovers per game (18.3) while Utah ranks 28th (14.8).
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, Washington is 3-0 and Utah is 10-1.
- The Jazz are 25-7 when they reach the century mark, while the Wizards are 11-24.
- Utah is 9-10-1 ATS on the road, while Washington is 9-9 ATS at home.
- The Jazz have 12 unders and 8 overs in 20 road games.
- Of the Wizards’ 18 home games, they have 9 overs, 8 unders and 1 push.
- The Jazz are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Wizards are 3-2.
- In their last five games, Utah has 3 unders and 2 overs, while Washington has 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Jazz’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.0, up from 3.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wizards have scored an average of 106.0 points per game (8.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 110.8 points per game (8.9 below their season average).