The Marshall Thundering Herd and UT Martin Skyhawks will clash at Henderson Center to begin their seasons. Marshall is an 8-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 168 points. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, November 10, 2017.
UT Martin Skyhawks at Marshall Thundering Herd Betting Preview
Last season, UT Martin did not reach the tournament following a 21-12 regular season. Marshall also failed to reach the tournament following a 20-15 regular season campaign.
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Marshall should have a significant advantage. In the 2016-17 season, the Thundering Herd offense ranked 60th in that metric at 0.536, while the UT Martin defense ranked 258th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.521). Furthermore, the Skyhawks, who ranked seventh in offensive rebounding percentage (37.7 percent), will battle against the Thundering Herd, who ranked 316th in defensive rebounding percentage (67.4 percent).
The Skyhawks had a solid 21-12 straight up (SU) record last season, but were just 13-15-1 against the spread (ATS). Vegas was fairly accurate when setting the O/U total of UT Martin games, with 15 overs compared to 14 unders.
The Thundering Herd, on the other hand, were 20-15 SU and 20-12 ATS last season. Games involving Marshall had a tendency to finish over the projected point total (62.5 percent).
UT Martin Skyhawks at Marshall Thundering Herd Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Marshall, ATS Winner – UT Martin, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Skyhawks rank 47th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while the Thundering Herd rank 127th (3.3).
- Marshall ranks 161st in steals per game (6.0) while UT Martin ranks 175th in steals allowed per game (6.5).
- Marshall ranks eighth in three pointers attempted per game (27.5) while UT Martin ranks 310th in three pointers allowed per game (26.2).
- The Skyhawks rank 59th in rebounds allowed per game (33.0) while the Thundering Herd rank 320th (42.2).
- Marshall averages 16.5 assists per game, which ranks 18th in the nation. UT Martin ranks 275th in assists allowed per game (15.4).