The BYU Cougars (2-0) will be at home in Marriott Center when they challenge the UT Arlington Mavericks (1-0). BYU opened as a 6.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 161 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 9:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, November 18, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN Full Court.
UT Arlington Mavericks at BYU Cougars Free Preview
In the Mavericks last contest, they were victorious over the Loyola Marymount Lions, 85-80, but failed to cover as 15-point favorites. Kevin Hervey was the games high scorer with 28 points on 10-for-18 shooting. UT Arlington dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.345 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.600. Loyola Marymount was 0.266 and 0.492, respectively, for those same stats. The two teams combined to put up 165 points, which was well over the O/U total of 150.
The Cougars come in on a high note after defeating the Princeton Tigers in their last matchup, 65-56. BYU received a boost from Elijah Bryant, who was the games leading scorer with 22 points on 6-for-12 shooting. BYU dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.641 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.513. Princeton put up marks of 0.170 and 0.443, respectively, for those same stats.
It will be a battle of opposite tempos as the up-and-down Cougars will look to push the more half-court-oriented Mavericks. Dating back to the 2016-17 season, the Cougars rank 18th in possessions per game while the Mavericks are 136th.
The Mavericks have had records of 26-8 straight up (SU) and 18-12-1 against the spread (ATS) since last season. A little over half of UT Arlington games have finished under the O/U total since last season.
The Cougars are 24-11 SU since last season, but are just 13-17-2 ATS. Over that same stretch, games featuring BYU have finished under the O/U total 56.3 percent of the time.
The Mavericks won the lone contest against the Cougars last season, 105-89. The Mavericks turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Cougars. UT Arlington had a rate of 9.8, while BYU posted a mark of 20.5.
UT Arlington Mavericks at BYU Cougars Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UT Arlington, ATS Winner – UT Arlington, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Mavericks rank 35th in assists per game (16.0) while the Cougars rank 213th in assists allowed per game (14.1).
- BYU averages 41.3 rebounds per game, which ranks fifth in the NCAA. UT Arlington ranks 178th in rebounds allowed per game (35.4).
- UT Arlington averages 25.6 three pointers per game, which ranks 27th in the nation. BYU ranks 289th in three pointers allowed per game (24.5).
- The Cougars rank 36th in blocks per game (4.8) while the Mavericks rank 247th (2.4).
- UT Arlington ranks 47th in steals per game (7.4) while BYU ranks 226th in steals allowed per game (6.9).