Don’t expect a fast-paced game when the UNI Panthers (16-2, 5-1 MVC) head to Southern Illinois to take on the Salukis (9-10, 3-3 MVC). Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 22, 2020.
UNI Panthers vs. Southern Illinois Salukis Betting Odds
Both teams defeated their last opponent. The Salukis defeated the Drake Bulldogs 66-49, while the Panthers beat the Bradley Braves 86-71.
UNI dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.5 (better than their season average of 16.5) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 29.0 (below their season average of 31.5). For those same stats, Bradley recorded marks of 15.8 and 24.2, respectively. The Salukis, meanwhile, knocked down 16 of their 22 free throws (72.7 percent) and had a turnover percentage of 11.6 (better than their season average of 18.5). Barret Benson had a solid performance for Southern Illinois, putting up 18 points and 10 rebounds. Meanwhile, UNI received a boost from AJ Green, who contributed 25 points and five rebounds.
The Salukis edged out the Panthers in this series last year, taking two out of three games. In the last matchup, UNI won 61-58. UNI’s effective field goal percentage was its largest strength over Southern Illinois. The Panthers had a rate of 0.434 while the Salukis posted a mark of 0.403. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Half-court execution will be critical when a pair of the country’s slowest-paced teams clash. Southern Illinois ranks 346th in possessions per game (63.6) and UNI is 309th (66.8).
UNI at Southern Illinois Odds Pick
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – UNI, ATS Winner – UNI, O/U – Over
- UNI ranks 89th in rebounds per game (37.3) while Southern Illinois ranks 276th (30.4).
- The Panthers rank 16th in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while the Salukis rank 68th (2.9).
- The Salukis rank 122nd in steals per game (6.4) while the Panthers rank 227th (4.4).
- UNI ranks 10th in assists allowed per game (9.3) while Southern Illinois ranks 98th (12.0).
- During their last five games, the Panthers have scored an average of 78.2 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 66.0 points per game (1.0 above their season average).
- The Salukis’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.4, down from 2.2 for the season.